Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Chapter 1: Daniel in the Quarry

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eldaldo

Black wolf is a town south east of Havalina. It sits on the shores of Lake Audra north of where the Rani River flows into the lake.

It was originally settled in 1900 by a group of American Catholics who immigrated to Inakaye with the intention of setting up a Monastery. Well, in transit to Inakaye, several of the monks-to-be fell in love with women on the long boat ride. They decided instead to marry and found a community for Catholics in this new land. And that is what Black Wolf ended up being.

I have never mentioned this before, but Inakaye is not a particularly religious country. Because so much of it is still frontier, many towns and communities are preoccupied with feeding themselves and preparing for winter rather than with religion. You will find churches, synagogues, mosques, and temples, in the Three Cities region, but No religion is particularly culturally dominant yet. Still, despite there being no strong religious affiliation of the country, there is alot of religious tolerance, and therefore it is not uncommon for religious groups to come here and form communities like black wolf. Below is a map of Inakaye that shows some of these communities.

Back to the story, Black Wolf is a predominantly catholic community, and the largest building in the town is the church. There are about 500 people in the town and most of them are farmers.

----------------------------------------------------------

We recently heard the story of how a mysterious man in overalls healed Elijah Burton's youngest Son Aaron. This is the story of his eldest son Daniel, who recently turned 13 and is leaving the farm to apprentice as a stone mason.

Daniel Had not been able to sleep. He had tossed and turned in his lumpy bed thinking only of his future.

He looked out the window and then turned over and looked at the wall. He looked across the room at his sleeping little brother. these things, these people, that he had spent his life around would fall away from his life. and it would happen tomorrow. He tried to memorize the windowsill and the leaves outside his window. He would never forget the way they looked.

"I must never forget my home, my family, and these dingy fields," he thought apprehensively as he thought about the farm he grew up on.

He had become interested in stone masonry early in his life. His aunt had taken him to Lake Maureen and he saw the beautiful statue in city park carved out of solid stone (see below).

he thought it was amazing that you could carve something so lifelike out of stone. This experience started him trying to carve animals from the rocks he'd find on the lake shore near their house.

(The shores of lake Audra near the Burton Farm)

as time went by he actually became quite good at carving, and he could tell that his Father was proud of him. Once when he was in Cape Winston with his uncle's family he heard of a Town to the East called Black Wolf, and that they had found marble there and started a marble quarry/masonry workshop.

(the hills where the marble was discovered, notice the white stones)

(a picture of the Black Wolf Mason's Workshop immediately after construction)

Though he could tell that it disappointed his father who always hoped that Daniel would take over the family farm, his father agreed to acquire a position for Daniel as a Mason Apprentice at the Black Wolf Workshop.

Tomorrow he would sail first to Cape Winston in their family's small boat. and then take a steamer almost 30 miles east to Black Wolf. Then he would meet Martin Kilder the Head Mason, under whom he will spend the next 7 years training to become a real stone mason.

"what will my new bed feel like? what will Master Kilder be like? Will he be nice? or will I be miserable for 7 years? Will I make any friends in this new town? What will living in a town be like?" All these thoughts ran through his busy mind. On one had they scared him, and on the other hand there was excitement in his chest at the world of opportunity in front of him, and the fact that at the end of the road he would be a mason. He could spend the rest of his life doing what he loved to do.

As the dark sky outside his window began to lighten just the slightest bit, his mind began to slow down in it's thinking, and he felt the ghost of sleep begin to take hold of him. he would need the few hours of rest. he had a busy 7 years ahead of him.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

1 Comment