• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Bower Ashton

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike the Mayor

BOWERASHTON.jpg
Bower Ashton is a lower-to-middle class area of Bristol, in the southwest of the city on the south banks of the River Avon. The area spread out during the 1920s when the area was very industrial, and as such terraced houses interrupted by tower blocks is the order of the district. Bower Ashton has developed a high street with centralised activity including cafes and service shops which serve the area. The area used to be a rather dingy and sometimes dangerous place but a lot of work has been done to restore building frontages and greening up the area since 1960. Bower Ashton will always be that sort of area in town but it's a lot better than it used to be.

Sunday 22nd August: Max (27C) ; Min (16C)

05.jpg

Overview of Leigh Wood Road

03.jpg

The High Street

04.jpg

The High Street

08.jpg

Bower Ashton Marketplace

02.jpg

The Ashton Gate Estate

07.jpg

The Ashton Gate Estate

01.jpg

06.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

6 Comments

Cool update again! Finally we see some "not-so-cool" places in Bristol, that's new... One suggestion, if you use the same kind of building when making estates (for example, only using the Bennett Apartments building in your Ashton Gate Estate), you'll get more realistic neighbourhoods. They may look repetitive but... this kind of places are actually repetitive!

Share this comment

k50dude: Thanks very much mate.

TekindusT: It's very hard to make poorer areas because whenever I zone for rowhomes, the tiles double up and plot R$$$ and R$$ buildings that I don't want to grow. Any ideas on how to grown R$ neighbourhoods, as your CJ is a perfect example of one.  I'll also take those building choices on board, the UK tower in the background actually grew by itself so I may plop over that but certain tower blocks are 4x2 and others are 3x2. There are more estates around the city I will show in the future.

Share this comment

Growing entire R$ neighbourhoods can be more difficult than it seems, and I guess there's no "a" way of do this; the cities I have on my CJ are grown from the beggining without any services except power and water. But if you want an specific part of your city to be poor, just make that the school, hospital, police and firefighters radius don't cover this neighbourhood and try plopping one of the NIMBY rewards in the middle or near it.

And if this doesn't work, you can go for the BuildingPlop cheat...

Share this comment

lesgaz: You're right it did take a while.  But with patience you can get quite a decent result.

TekindusT: Ye I suppose that's right. But even trying to create realistic lower class neighbourhoods involves schools and whatnot. As for the BuildingPlop cheat, that really can come in quite handy lol. Well if I'm stuck on R$ neighbourhoods in the future, I know who to come to.

Share this comment