• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

The City Centre

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike the Mayor

THECITYCENTRE.jpg

This is a comparatively large update to many as we now have a look at the centre of the city. In most cities, the City Centre is commonly one of the older parts of the city having been the heart of the city for many years. In contrast however, Bristol's City Centre is neither old or new. The real core of the city around Temple Avenue underwent a massive Manhattanisation after World War Two with much more recent but stylish blocks going up now occupied by commerical and office suites. The road network was also modified with something resembling a grid system put in place around survivng older buildings.

Amongst the horns and the yells of angry drivers and buzz of every day life, it's an interesting walk around this area seeing just how the original city now mingles with the more recent arrivals. Temple Avenue acts as a linking boulevard between Castle Park and Bristol Temple Meads train station. See what you make of it.

10.jpg

Castle Park and facing facades

07.jpg

East Castle Street and the Bristol Law Courts

09.jpg

The busy junction between Castle Park (right) and Temple Avenue (left)

03.jpg

Higher-rise buildings along Temple Avenue

06.jpg

Sidestreets to the east off Temple Avenue

02.jpg

The typical concrete jungle look of Broadmead

01.jpg

Old and new in Broadmead (note the early onset of autumn colours - in August!)

11.jpg

The Bristol Regal has been functioning as a theatre since 1950 and celebrates its 60th Anniversary this September

14.jpg

Leadshot Avenue

12.jpg

Cabot Street

13.jpg

City Wall Road

05.jpg

The Cabot Concert Hall survived World War Two unscathed

04.jpg

Leadshot Square, recently re-landscaped

Thanks for watching! From next Monday onwards, Bristol goes live in this CJ with current affairs and day to day life being shown rather than the current tours getting to know the city.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

10 Comments

I told you in previous entries how much I liked that styles mix, and today you've mastered it! In the Cabot Street pic, New York art decó/beaux arts besides Parisian Haussman style? Wow!

Share this comment

Fantastic work with the city center. Personally, i think city centers are the hardest parts of the city to make, but you've done a great job!

Share this comment

Skimbo: Thanks mate, more to come shortly!

TekindusT: Cheers mate, glad you're impressed. It's hard trying to mix styles without making it look ridiculous or fake but seeing as Bristol really does a wild diversity of architecture, it resembles that quite nicely I hope.

Samerton: Thanks mate, much appreciated!

tigeria: Thank you for the comment mate!

ImVhOzzi: Thanks there. I would very much agree with you there. Beside what I was saying to TekindusT about trying to mix totally different architectural styles together, sorting all the infrastructure placement and angles with buildings is quite a challenge. Many a time do I destroy the city centre and start over until I'm happy with it.

Share this comment

Greekman: Hey Greekman, thanks. That roundabout can be made like that by creating the roundabout using the one way streets. Make a square with one tile square surrounded by one way system, then plop a piece of road in the middle and that automatically appears. Hope that helps. 

Share this comment