Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

The West End - Part I

Sign in to follow this  
Mike the Mayor

THEWESTEND.jpg
The West End is named so, appropriately, due to its position just to the west of the central area of the city. The area contains a number of important buildings such as those of Bristol University, the Council House as well as famous streets such as Park Street linking the centre to Clifton Triangle and Hotwells Road which can become a notoriously busy drive in and out of the city during commuting hours. The area continues the theme of diverse architecture as the area developed as an upmarket living area for wealthy merchants and tradesmen, close to the original city harbour. Bristol Cathedral marks the boundary between the City Centre and the West End.

Nowadays, the area continues this function with a common setup of shops/restaurants/cafes on the ground floor with houses or apartments above. There are good bus links to the City Centre as well as a linking light railway and metro system. We first take a look at a disputed area of the city. Due to the presence of many important buildings, there is a debate over whether to alter city district boundaries to count these buildings as within the City Centre. See what you make of it.

01.jpg

Canon's Marsh with Bristol Cathedral

06.jpg

Looking west with Bristol Cathedral and the corner of the Council House to the right

17.jpg

The City Hall, formerly the Bristol Odeon Theatre

14.jpg

Park Street facades and the Council House

10.jpg

Bristol Council House and neighbouring sidestreets

05.jpg

St. Augustine's Parade & Monument (debated whether to be postcoded as the West End or City Centre) with the City Hall and Colston House on the corner

02.jpg

Trenchard House, now a multicommercial department store

08.jpg

The Colston Buildings, Trenchard Street

11.jpg

The nearest part of the West End to the City Centre with Trenchard House (left), St. Mary on the Quay (above centre), Bristol Hippodrome (below centre) and l'Hotel du Vin - now Bristol Library (right)

Hope you enjoyed the first part of the tour. Next we will take a look at the true West End with it's narrower and more crowded atmosphere.

Sign in to follow this  

6 Comments

Recommended Comments

Great W2W collection! Judging from the car crash in the 8th pic, looks like you got a little congestion problem!

Share this comment

B-e-a-u-tiful work1 great job on that part of the city. it looks so British-like, then again it is in England. Jolly good!

Share this comment

CTMandR: Haha, yes that avenue does get congested quite easily, mainly for being right between the commerical centre and inner city residential areas.  

Greekman: Thanks. I'm glad it does resemble something British as there aren't many British lots on the STEX so having to be as realistic as possible with mainland European ones.

TekindusT: Thanks very much mate, much appreciated!

Samerton: Haha, it seems to be roads are either congested or devoid of cars in Bristol. There never seems to be a medium that last very long. Oh well lol.

kolnikov inc: Thank you. I don't actually do custom lotting as I don't really know how (if using the BAT tool is what you mean). I'd love to be able to though currently I rely on the wonderful work of others.

Share this comment