• Views

An Experiment in Diagonality & Slantiness

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Schulmanator

Schulmania's Experiment!

Slantacular Diagonality

3fa1dcd43a66d-38-1.jpg

I have seen quite a few folks do the diagonal thing on their CJs and have occasionally slipped in a little something diagonal here and there. But for the most part, I have not. So, in my experimental region, I decided to try out a mostly diagonal city, so I can get a feel for how diagonal looks and plays and how to use space well with the diagonals and all that good stuff. I am showing you these pictures and my thoughts about each. You are certainly welcome to add your comments as well. If you have a particular picture you are referencing in your comments, please identify which picture it is by number.

And now, the experimental pics...

Picture 1

010112.jpg

My thoughts: Diagonal means a lot of space sorta not being used.

Picture 2

010111.jpg

My thoughts: This one turned out pretty well. Lots of 1x1 and 1x2 buildings on the slants.

Picture 3:

010110.jpg

My thoughts: Using diagonals restricts the size of buildings and tends to give me a good deal of repetition.

Picture 4

010109.jpg

My thoughts: Space is not really wasted in this intersection. But, the buildings are stair stepped instead of transitioning smoothly.

Picture 5

010108.jpg

My thoughts: Not bad...

Picture 6

010107.jpg

My thoughts: My diagonal grid seems to have a decent amount of unusable space in the middle of the diamonds.

Picture 7

010106.jpg

My thoughts: I am puttng trees in the unusable spaces, but it seems a bit odd.

Picture 8

010105.jpg

My thoughts: Some straight roads help use the space better.

Picture 9

010104.jpg

My thoughts: That domed corner building if turned at a different angle would be prefect for that spot.

Picture 10

010103.jpg

My thoughts: Some of the diamonds in the diagonal grid have space for 2 1x2 or one 2x2 building at the intersection. That seems to work better.

Picture 11

010101.jpg

My thoughts: Kinda stair steppy...

Picture 12

010114.jpg

My thoughts: Really stair steppy... and repetitive...

Picture 13

010116.jpg

My thoughts: That little 1x1 will be out of place...

Picture 14

010117.jpg

My thoughts: Not a good placement for Fashion Bug... no ne can see it except from one side.

Picture 15

010118.jpg

My thoughts: Slanty!

Picture 16

010122.jpg

My thoughts: Not efficient use of space.

Picture 17

010119.jpg

My thoughts: Some buildings are suited well for diagonality...

Picture 18

010113.jpg

My thoughts: Off course, some are designed for this. Not very many, though.

Picture 19

010120.jpg

My thoughts: This one turned out well.

Picture 20

010102.jpg

My thoughts: So, let's all come over to my house and celebrate slanty diagonality!

Our Schulmania site visitors:

3759165.png

free counters

3rXU8c4Lsn1.png

Thanks for coming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

4 Comments

Interesting experiments! Looks like a lot of European W2W's aren't suited for diagonal streets, unless they were specifically designed for it. Personally, I try to limit my use of diagonal streets. Great update, and break from the regular stuff!

Share this comment

You share my opinions on diagonality: space wasting and stair like. Unless you do it right and with proper buildings. Then it looks awesumz.

Share this comment

To avoid wasting space, you could press "alt" while zoning to avoid it creating 3 1x1 squares facing away from the road. I used to hate zoning diagonals cause you had to build one road section, then zone, then another road section, then zone.

But just press "alt" and your problem of useless space should be fixed (assuming you don't create huge diamonds... =P )

Share this comment

REPLIES

NOTE: All replies above this are now added to post count totals for rank and awards.

CTMandR   Thanks. I have not really used diagonals much for that reason. There’s not much there you can do with them and repetition is sure to happen if you have very much..

Timmystwin   There were so many people so excited about diagonals that I wanted to try it for myself. They seem a bit overrated – stairs and wasted space predominate. There is a little application for breaking up the grid now and then though.

Unmannedperson   You are correct. But, then a tight diamond pattern of streets would be very constraining as well. I suppose a light sprinking here and there would be OK, but not a whole city.

Share this comment