• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Chapter 1 - Development begins in Westridge

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheOtherRick

LCCJ-TitleBar.jpg

To review a sec...Lacey County will have 3 large urban areas. I want to use this CJ a a learning tool, and you are the teachers. So I am getting my feet wet on one of the smaller communities.

LC-Ch1-CityLayout-W.jpg

Westridge is an agricultural community just west of what will be Laceyville. It does have a small amount of industry located near a mine. I will apologize in advance for the variations in picture quality. They will improve with time. Also, I know I left the grid on in one or two. Oops! Anyway, we'll start with a general aerial view of the town.

LC-Ch1-Westridge-05-17-06-1.jpg

That is heading west over the town center. Next is some of the agriculture east and south of town.

LC-Ch1-Westridge-05-24-06-1.jpg

The approximate era for development is going to be the early 1930's, so the streets are a rigid grid, as curve-filled middle-class subdivisions won't show up until later. The next shot is of Westridge's small yet thriving industrial area.

LC-Ch1-Westridge-05-17-06-2.jpg

Early depression era factories and a power plan throwing tons of pollutants into the air. No Clean Air Act yet! The industry grew around the Westridge Mine (Credit goes to PEG for the Big John Mine). The next picture is a closer look at the Westridge Business District.

LC-Ch1-Westridge-03-18-09-1.jpg

Shops and restaurants along Main Street. The last shot is a closer look at the farming.

LC-Ch1-Westridge-03-18-09-2.jpg

Scattered here and there among the farms are lower class residential lots, occupied by farm labor. The "ditch" running east-west is actually a railroad. It has a connection to what will be Laceyville. Fresh fruits and veggies to go!

Now back to a little review. I want to LEARN! So tell me where to improve. Criticize (constructively) what you see. Tell about better lots. Tell me about better planning. Tell me about better techniques. Be the chalk on this empty slate!

Until next time....

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

4 Comments

I think that you could use some more custom content, but other than that, it is pretty realistic and it looks like you have a good start here.

Share this comment

Love the attention to detail in the rural areas, down to the irregular shaped farm plots and lines of trees used as windbreaks between fields. Very realistic !  The town center is also very nice. I agree with phoenix that some custom content would make your city even more impressive.  I might suggest looking into jbsimio's "Smalltown" series to add a bit of variety to your downtown commercial areas.  
 All in all a very good start.  I'll be watching this one .

Share this comment

Thanks Phoenix and Jetty. I just downloaded and installed the Smalltown series. Can't wait to see how they're gonna look!

Share this comment