• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Introduction

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike the Mayor

BANNER.jpg

This City Journal is a fictional one but based on my home city, Bristol, in the United Kingdom. I have done a few in the past but have lost them all due to computer crashes but I now have a much better computer and it is very easy to backup so no losses! By comparison it is totally different but I have sculpted the region like that of the Bristol & Avonmouth region in real life. Street names and places will have the same names and so will surrounding towns and villages but ultimately, it is quite different by eye. Hope you enjoy!

Bristol is a city and county in itself, situated 8 miles inland from the Severn Estuary in Southwest England. With a city population of 1,006,600 and an urban population of over 3 million, it is the 3rd largest city in England after London and Birmingham.

HISTORY.jpg

It received a Royal Charter in 1155 and was granted County status in 1373. Bristol grew extensively during the 1400s but a lot of the original city centre burned down in 1604 commune. Due to the predominant timber-framing of buildings, an extensive bonfire resulted! As such, money was invested into constructing solid buildings of grandeur and style from the mid 1620s onwards, Bristol having served as a searing pit for long enough. Construction boomed after this date. Bristol fell under Spanish rule very briefly during the 1650s before returning to British rule, then the Dutch took hold. This period lasted from 1700-1756, followed by French rule from 1756-1834. The reason - trade! Bristol used to a bustling port and inland harbour. The inland harbour has since gone and the river passages have remained. The port is now situated at the town of Avonmouth, where the city's River Avon enters the Severn Estaury. Bristol then fell into British hands once more and has remained so since.

Bristol managed to avoid World War One altogether with air raids tending to be concentrated in the east of the country. World War Two however proved a much more active affair. Parts of the city centre were bombed during the November 1940 Blitz while much of the Old City survived unscathed. This is reflected in the city's architecture in particular where blitzed areas such as Temple Avenue went through a Manhattanisation in the late 1940s and 1950s. Since then, Bristol has prospered in the commercial, financial and cultural sectors. Tourism is becoming more popular and the city continues to grow and publicise worldwide.

GEOGRAPHY.jpg

Bristol is located in the southwest of England. It sits on the River Avon and is only 8 miles inland from the coastline of the Severn Estuary. The local stone is reflected in the buildingwork around the city as sandstone is particularly common. However the Mendip Mountains and other areas south of the city consist of limestone. The city has a continental climate with oceanic influences. This results in warm or hot, dry summers; cold and relatively dry winters with wetter springs and autumns as the more active jet stream brings depressions in from the sea.

CLIMATE1.jpg
Bristol Climate Graph, Copyright Bristol Meteorological Office 2000

POSTCARDS.jpg

INTRO13.jpg

INTRO4.jpg

INTRO11.jpg

INTRO12.jpg

INTRO5.jpg

INTRO7.jpg

INTRO3.jpg

INTRO6.jpg

INTRO10.jpg

INTRO8.jpg

INTRO9.jpg

INTRO1.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

7 Comments

That's looking very nice, Mike! When I've seen the first pics, I thought the architectural styles mix would be horrible, but you've managed to keep everything at its good amount, mixing wisely the Paris, typical English and even central European styles... Keep the good work!

BTW, will you revive the "Guess the city" forum game?

Share this comment

Looks awesome! Could you tell me where you got the blue(ish) building in the first screenshot which is across the road from the monument from? And also where did you get the yellow palace in the third building down? Thanks.

Share this comment

titanesk: Haha, thanks for the comment. as you will see there are quite a few differences to the real Bristol

TekindusT: Hi there mate, thanks very much. Ye mixing the styles is quite a risky business but I hate sticking to one style only personally so I've sort of got used to it over time. As for the 'Guess The City', the thread will be continued from September 1st onwards. Thought it would be nice to have a summer break (forgot to mention that actually!!) We'll keep going with the current scoreboard as well.

Dannibee: Agreed!

Paulobergonci: Thanks for the comment mate! Much appreciated.

currentlyvacant: Hi, thanks for the compliment my friend! As Blakeaway has nicely pointed out, that's the Hotel Christine. As for the palace, the name actually escapes me - for the time being you could try typing in 'palace' or something into the STEX but otherwise I will look again when I next open up SC4.

Blakeway: Thanks mate for that!

Share this comment