• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Terwillegar

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beebs

redriver_ca.jpg

Welcome back, folks! Today, we'll head into the deep, deep south-west of the city to the area of Terwillegar - our last deep south update for a while, promise! :)

terwillegar6.jpg

Here we have the subdivision of Terwillegar Towne. It began construction with phase one in late 1997, and was quickly one of the most popular developments in the city. Its focus "decent" architecture, featuring front porches and the first development with back alleys in perhaps a decade drove its popularity. With starter homes being in an affordable price range, it was (and still is) extremely popular for young families.

terwillegar1.jpg

The subdivision is constructed near an old gravel pit. You can see where excavation was made in this shot. Residents lovingly call this rejuvinated parkland "the pit". Come winter, it is a very popular site for tobogganing, featuring hills for all ages and levels of adventure-seeking.

terwillegar2.jpg

Further east, new commercial developments have cropped up at key intersections, such as here at 23rd Ave. and Rabbit Hill Rd. You can see the development at the bottom is, at present, sitting on some extra land. As developments grow over the next few years, I'm confident we'll see that space filled in.

terwillegar3.jpg

Further north and east, we run into the neighborhood of Whitemud Oaks, named both after the Whitemud Creek, and the number of oak trees growing in the area. At the top left, there is a storm drain pond that is ever-so-popular in almost all new neighborhoods. Houses in here can reach upwards of $600 000.

terwillegar4.jpg

And an overview of the north end of Terwillegar Towne. There is still one phase left to be completed, the space between the fencing and the houses. On the other side of 23rd Ave, the city has planned a massive sports complex, to be finished by 2012. Until construction begins, the land will remain, as it has for years, empty. Residents of Terwillegar Towne are obviously happy that the desolate space will soon be filled in.

And that's all for now, folks! Check back next time when we move westwards to check out the west end of Red River!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

10 Comments

Love how you made some roadside spaces empty on purpose. Come to think of it, I see it all the time, where a suburban avenue cuts through nothing, and it just sits there. I see it on the outskirts of big cities a lot. Especially the fast-growing ones like Phoenix, AZ. Keep up the awesome work! 

Share this comment

very nice  love the way you update your journals.   love that shopping center.... very suburban 

Share this comment

Very nice! I just think those houses should go up  further to $800 000 or so. $600 000 seems alittle less, as I can sell my house and gain more than enough money to buy one of those much better and luxurious homes. Nonetheless, very great update. Also nice to see more green areas in the suburbs than parking!

Share this comment

IrvingTwoSmokes: Thank you! Indeed, it might not look great from a SC4 perspective, but it definitely happens often.
nate1245: Thanks :)
sbh565: Thank you!
sepen20: Well, the housing market in Saskatchewan is definitely a buyers' market. Well over a decade of recession deflates the prices. Glad you're enjoying it!
Skimbo: Thanks :D
Bartzmeister: Thank you!
ilikehotdogsalot: Thanks, dog!
BlondeTwiggy: Glad you're liking things, twigs!
thepokemaniac: Thanks :)

Share this comment