• Comments
  • Views

Chapter 4 : Trouble arises

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tigeria

selbringbanner.jpg

Chapter 4 : Trouble Arises

Back at Majesty Hotel, I read through the files and documents Ben gave me to study and know more about issues here. Looking at Selbring was really an eye opener as compared to my hometown. Apartments were getting taller in order to cope with increasing population and limited land space.

pic7.jpg

Pic A : This is the Majesty Hotel. One of Selbring's earliest and illustrous hotels.

Day 1 - 8.00 AM

Well a brand new day starts and it was my first day in the office. Ben came over to fetch me and we walked over to the office which was just a street away.

officeday.jpg

Pic B : The Ministry of Housing Building

After a short welcome reception with the Head of Department and the staff, I got down to business and spent the day studying the recent projects and pending developments requiring my attention.

In the evening, Ben came over to tell me my apartment was ready.

pic8bd.jpg

Pic C: My new apartment unit on the 24th storey of Blk 7 Sedaki Estate

Day 2 - 10:00AM

Day 2 at work and my secretary, Macy, came over with a file which was marked urgent.

constructionissues.jpg

Pic D : Opened up the document and in it was a picture, a note and a document

Apparently the contractor in charge of this residential development breached certain safety measures required at the construction site. After ignoring countless warnings, the contractor had decided to walk out on this project, leaving the construction site as it was. The background information given was brief and not enough for me to make a decision. Thus i decided to go down to the site myself.

pic10cn.jpg

Pic E : The abandoned construction site in Edisa Heights New Estate

True enough, the workers and the contractor were not at work. The site was like a dead town with cranes and trucks parked and hanging over the uncompleted apartments. Ben(my assistant) and I approached the construction office, hoping to find the contractor in there. Indeed he was, sitting in his armchair, legs resting on the table and reading the newspapers. 

After introducing ourselves, we sat down and had a talk with the contractor and understood his unhappiness and reasons why the works had stopped. He did not look like he was to compromise or cooperate with us....

officenight.jpg

Pic F : That night was going to be a long one as i pondered and tried to come up with a decision urgently needed.

The Case:

Contractor claims that...

- We did not fund him enough for this project. The contract stated the project was at an estimated T$38 million and we were to fund him 80% of the total amount first, then pay him the remaining upon completion. We funded him exactly as promised in the contract.

- The limited supply of construction materials and resources caused an increase in material prices. Thus more funding needed.

- Lack of funds meant more time needed, unable to hire more workers and unable to follow safety regulations.

The Contractor's Profile:

Name : Paterson Development and Construction Agency

Popularity : Relatively popular

Record : Has handled 6 projects without problems in the past 8 years.

==================================================================================================================

Kayden now needs your help. Please vote for the decision to be made (Deadline 29th July)

1. Sack this contractor and compensate him as he requested (T$20.2 million as his expenses so far)

2. Continue working with him and provide him with his needed fundings (unable to come up with an estimate, depends on him)

3. Sue him and take him to court ( 50-50 chance)

Thank you for your vote, the story will continue according to the most votes voted. :D

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

9 Comments

Number one        Its more realistic, and closer to providing an on time finish date 

Share this comment

Pix look great so far. As for an option, depends on how good your legal staff is. I would say #2 probably, with some provisions in writing...

Share this comment

Guest velbob

Posted

2!
Good storyline. Makes people keep track of what's going on here in this little space!

Share this comment