• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Antioch Close-ups

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoshuaGellock

Antioch Close-ups

Today's update is all about Antioch, a city I have wanted to show for some time. 

Antioch, a manufacturing city---or at least it was through the years, Chora Steel, Benjamin & Sons Brewing, GIANT Freight, and even C.S. Glass have all called Antioch, "home." Some still do! These companies are strong stories of Antioch's 158 year history.

Today, Antioch is an eclectic city and home to a variety of industries and commercial businesses. Its vintage-modern appearance is something the city takes great pride in. While some cities in Chora have moved on to a contemporary design, Antioch has put great effort into preserving the history and glory of its unique look. Today's update features some of the restoration projects through the years and other sites to check out, circa 1985. I hope you enjoy. 

The pictures shown here can be viewed in full resolution by simply opening the picture's address in a new browser window.

Here is a shot of Antioch during its planning.  

antiochlayout.png

The city's core is surrounded by elevated and ground rail. These elegant stations are found throughout Antioch. Next to the the station is the Corinthian Ave Library. Across the street are the Spring Garden Lofts.

antiochel1.jpg

While Shiloh is South Chora's largest port, Antioch's port still sends freight via the local docks. While these shipments are light and infrequent, the docks have become a landmark of the city. They were revitalized in the historical restoration projects of the 70s and today, mainly serve as a seafood hub and small shipment facility.

southantiochseaport.jpg

This old station now serves as the A-train (ground rail) administration building. The first floor still serves as a rail station while the upper floors serve as offices and other multi-purpose rooms, coordinating the city's ground rail. 

antiochdowntownstation.jpg

One Truth Church opened its small doors in 1931 during the great depression. Families would gather in prayer and share meals during the early days of the church. Today it is a large congregation with 5,000 members, of whom many serve in the community and Antioch Historical Clinic. The facility was upgraded during the 1950s and during the summer months, the plaza is used for outdoor services. 

onetruthchurchdowntowna.jpg

Antioch Historical Clinic was also a restoration project of the 70s. It is a free clinic, offering services to all. The basement serves as a soup kitchen, except on Sundays. Some Christians from OTC help homeless men and women get back on their feet through their own time and efforts.

historichospital.png

The last picture is of GIANT freight's rail yard. GIANT was a small business, started in 1943. It was a father and sons venture and the business has remained in the family. Named after the 5 foot father's nickname, the business started as a labor pool for the rail yards. Smart management (and lots of talks with the bank) helped GIANT take ownership of the lower part of the yard in 1955.

antiochrailyard.png

As always, thanks for checking out Chora. Your comments, feedback, and ratings are appreciated!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

4 Comments

i have to say, i am really a fan of your work. your transportation is one of the best designed in Simtropolis...looking forward to more updates!

Share this comment

Weecaeks - Thank you very much for those kind words. ST offers a lot of inspiration and so I hope my CJ inspires others too. :)

Joey (froeluch131) - Thank you for those kind words. The rail will continue!!

Retep - Thank you! Yeah---Iconium and Antioch's networks are not too far apart so they both use the trains seen above. Keilah and North Keilah, being modern cities use Acela trains. Shiloh (which I haven't shown yet) uses another kind of train. All the cities use different elevated trains too---Helps keeps things fresh. I'm glad you liked the choice. 

Share this comment