Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Balboa City's Western Neighborhood Plan

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Retep Molinari

Between 2001-2010, Balboa City underwent two massive redevelopment projects: the Eastern and Western Neighborhood Plans. Each of these areas were massive, if underused, industrial areas.

For full resolution on all pics: Right click image + "View image." Very worth it!!

In this photo of Balboa City, you can see the finished Western Neighborhood Plan, which Includes most of the land located to the left near the seaport.

balboacityoct7335127940.png

Between the neighborhood's decline in the 1980s and 2002, a few smaller attempts at redevelopment were made. These efforts centered around replacing unused industrial lots with high-density housing and parkland. Residents, however, were unimpressed and never moved in.

balboacityoct2031312685.png

In late 2002, a comprehensive redevelopment plan was approved. Centered along the existing elevated rail lines, the new western neighborhood would include parks, high-density housing, shops, and high-tech industry.

This photo shows the lower and central parts of the neighborhood.

balboacitymay4319126872.png

The northern portion of the neighborhood.

balboacitymay5319126872.png

With 10,000 residents within 200 yards, this rail station sees plenty of action.

balboacitymar1334127940.png

balboacitymar2033412794.png

Until next time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

4 Comments

It's not the first time we see urban renewal on this CJ and I think I'll never get tired of seeing your masterplans. Very nice result!

Share this comment

Truly, a noteworthy redevelopment. I like the elevated rail shots. That triangle junction on the right side in the 2nd pic is really cool. Both the straight and the diagonal give a very modern and busy look. And even still, I can't get over the highway and L and rail going through the terrace. Has to be one of the coolest designs I have ever seen for a city. Very unique!

Share this comment