• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

NK Transit

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoshuaGellock

NK Transit

This morning I woke up to my son Elijah saying, "Hi Daddy. Don tairs. Wease." As usual I said, "Ok, Eli." When we got downstairs he said, "Choo choo wease." Assuming he wanted to do what we did last night: watch freight trains on YouTube. The smiles on his face are great when he watches them go by for 2-3 minutes. So today's update is more trains---not to say you'll get as excited as Elijah does, but I hope you enjoy. 

NKTransit is North Keilah's elevated rail system. The first system was built in the 1920s. It was a small tram system around the city's center. There were plans to extend the service to other areas of the city, but funds were depleted before the project was completed. The union refused to complete the job at a lower rate so the city was left with the supplies and materials, but no workers to complete the system. Thus in 1921, the materials were donated to Iconium, a small growing community in the western part of South Chora. It wasn't a total loss however. Through the years, the city learned how to work with the local unions to prevent problems like what happened in the 20s with the NK tram. 

In the 50s, the tram was slowly converted to an elevated system with new lines running in the city center and to the industrial district. In the 70s and 80s, the city approved an expansion plan to the central neighborhoods of North Keilah-thus the Green and Orange line expansion project began. Completed in 1975, the Green and Orange lines serviced the neighborhoods of North Keilah. In the 1980, the orange line was re-laid and the old line decommissioned. The new orange line paralleled with the Green through North Keilah's neighborhoods. The last renovation took place in 1984 when the the lines were re-designed to the loop system. The loop helped to relieve the traffic on the railways.

All pictures are uploaded in the PNG format---please allow a moment while they load. Also, you can see them in full resolution by simply opening the picture's address in a new browser window. On to some pictures....

To get around on NKT, you'll need two items: money and a map. The map I can help with, the other, well...
nktransitfinal.png

Here is a shot of the old orange line (running next to Solid Rock Community Church) before it was decommissioned:

nktransit1.jpg

The new orange line coming out of the downtown loop:

nktransit4.png

Passing by the Main Police Station and CTC:

northkeilaheldowntown.jpg

The Green line brings thousands into downtown each day. This train approaches the a CTC cell tower while headed towards the next station:

nktransit6.png

Coming around the loop @ night:

nktransit7.png

Trains to the industrial district run 24/7:

lowerright.png

The Orange line ends near New life in Christ Church (lots of folks take the train for Wednesday night Bible Study):
nktransit5.png

I hope you enjoyed the update. I hope to upload some shots from Antioch tomorrow. 

Your comments, feedback, and ratings are appreciated. Thanks!

bobolee likes this
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

5 Comments

I always appreciate same-day comments. Thanks guys!

shyguy from SC4D - Thank you. Glad you liked it.

dghh70 - It is actually inspired BY the L in Chicago. 

IrvingTwoSmokes - I used Paint.NET to do my maps. Its all about the layers you can do in the program. Without layers, the map would be almost impossible to make.

Share this comment

Nice map -I've been experimenting with maps too. You should display them in the Show us your transit maps 2 thread.

Share this comment