Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Balboa City's Eastern Neighborhood Plan

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Retep Molinari

Between 2001-2010, Balboa City underwent two massive redevelopment projects: the Eastern and Western Neighborhood Plans. Each of these areas were massive, if underused, industrial areas.

Redevelopment on the eastern side of the city had been discussed for years. With with many well used buildings mixed with the underused ones, it was difficult to create a comprehensive plan.

In the fall of 2001, riots stemming from the Balboa-led unification of Syldav (read your history) resulted in the razing of much of the eastern side. Coupled with a clear need to expand the airport, complete redevelopment was ordered.

For full resolution on all pics: Right click image + "View image." Very worth it!!

In this photo of Balboa City, you can see the finished Eastern Neighborhood Plan, which makes up the lower portion of the strip of land to the right.

balboacityoct7335127940.png

This is an early image from the redevelopment process. Businesses and residents based in the eastern neighborhood were relocated with a guarantee too return if they wished.

balboacityapr6307126853.png

The Eastern Neighborhood Plan placed a premium on pedestrians and public transit. However, the area also included McColley Bridge, connecting the two halfs of the City. here you can see the terracing and the major roads stemming from the bridge.

balboacitymar1930412685.png

Part of the neighborhood after redevelopment. Note the rail/road overpass. The new tramline runs underground as to avoid the messey traffic. This intersection of road, light rail, and heavy rail was one of the most expensive projects of the entire plan. However, the planners were rewarded when it was proven to cut congestion and streetcar dwell times.

balboacitynov4334127940.png

The redevelopment provided greater access to local commuter lines.

balboacitynov6334127940.png

A new trades college was built in the Eastern Neighborhood, adjacent an elementary school. After school and during weekends, the general public may use the greens and basketball courts.

balboacitydec7334127940.png

Pedestrian malls are one way commuters get to the trains, while providing car-free open space throughout the day.

balboacitydec8334127940.png

To the north, another light rail/heavy rail connection was built. The underground parking lot is a bit expensive, but the walk to the trains isn't very long at all.

balboacitydec1133412794.png

Hope you like it! I'll get the Western Neighborhood Plan posted very soon, though comments always seem to speed me up!

THANKS!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

8 Comments

Stunning. There is no other word.

The rail and tram service is very well-planned. That hub in the last pic is incredible---parking, rail, tram, and near-by commercial shops---awesome.

The avenue star is a cool design too. The second pic makes me wanting to see more of it! 

Balboa sure has come a long way. I'd rate this a 5 all over again if I could.

Share this comment