Tarkusian Cities

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Welcome Back, My Friends . . .

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tarkus

Archive update--this was originally posted on November 22, 2009 as Update 58 in the SC4D edition of Tarkusian Cities. It has been included for the sake of completion, in a slightly edited form to fit the continuity of the ST edition.

Well, now it's time to reveal the start of my latest efforts. I've started a new region, and have partially built up two large tiles on it. I decided to try something a little new . . . my fellow NHPer Troy (blade2k5) has released a bunch of RL Oregon maps on the STEX recently, which I've picked up. I've never tried building on RL terrain that I'm familiar with, and thought it posed a lot of interesting possibilities, so I've started building on the Salem, OR map. My goal with it has been to do something rather different from the RL Salem rather than a strict recreation (though I'd be curious to try something like that at some point), but because of my familiarity with the area, I couldn't help but take a few cues here and there from it (and other Oregon cities) with the layout. My "downtown" in "Alternate Universe Salem" (which I haven't given an actual name other than that cheesy.gif) is located in just about the same spot.

Now, for a look at what's in place thus far.

First off, a map of the current progress on the downtown tile:

samapregion11222009.th.png

A look at downtown, near 5th Avenue NE and Progress Street (facing north). 5th Avenue is the east-west "main drag" through downtown.

u581.jpg

Near the intersection of 5th and Commerce Street (Highway 215) (facing west).

u582.jpg

This is in the large industrial area off to the east, which isn't on the map. (facing south)

u584.jpg

This is on the edge of the industrial area . . . probably the most rail you've ever seen in a Tarkusian City. (facing east)

u585.jpg

This is where Highway 215 (the Division/Commerce couplet) and Highway 36 meet up. (facing west)

u586.jpg

This is a look at some residential areas. This is near 11th and Ashcroft. (facing north)

u587.jpg

And construction has already begun. Here's the intersection of 5th and Ashcroft. Both roads will be undergoing widening quite soon. (facing north)

u583.jpg

And that does it for this update.

-Alex

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

0 Comments

There are no comments to display.