Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Keilah's Downtown Core

Sign in to follow this  
JoshuaGellock

Keilah's Downtown Core

This update is a tour through Keilah's downtown core. The pictures may take some time to load, so hang in there. Also, all pictures can be viewed in their full resolution by simply opening the picture's address in a new browser window. First up, replies and then the update.

Replies

Guibanez_ - Thank you!

DCMetro34 - Thank you for the rating and comment! I hope you were able to pick up the station.

thefunktopus - Wow. I'm glad to see you have grown so fond of GLR. I think GLR and Elevated Rail work very well on the inner city and Rail can connect cities together beautifully. You should start a CJ so we can see your progress. :)

Retep - I'm humbled to have such a comment come from you. Your transit networks are incredible, so I didn't expect to see such a compliment. Thank you.

DrumMaster - I get all kinds of inspiration from the Bible - Patmos is the island where John received his inspiration to write the book of Revelation. And Keilah I'll explain in a moment. Thanks again for your positive feedback. I look forward to seeing your Patmos CJ. Have fun in Italy!

Keilah is the first city I started out with in Chora. It is my first attempt at creating a city that could be used in a City Journal. The name is inspired by my oldest daughter, although her name doesn't have the H on the end. The biblical book of Genesis has a city named Keilah in it (which is where my wife got the name) and so I thought I would put the H back on being that its a city. :) 

Like North Keilah, the pictures from today are also from the late 90s and early 2000s, with some added historical tidbits. As I have mentioned, the city really took off in the 70s and 80s when the electronics manufacturing business took off. 

Here are some shots of downtown as the city was growing:

keilahmorningconstructi.png

downtownconstruction.png

One thing that has not changed is the devout culture of the people. The major religion of Chora is Christianity, but there are other faiths. The Christian churches are primarily non-denominational. Here is a shot of one of those churches, Keilah Christian Center (recently renovated in 1996):

keilahchristianchurch.png

Here is a shot of the downtown station where the GRS and the Keilah Rapid Transit (Elevated Rail) meet. 

keilahcentralstationver.png

Across from the station is the CTC Convention Center. Many Telecommunication / Technology events take place here:

keilahconventioncenter.png

From a different angle:

keilahconventioncenter2.png

The Oceanside Medical Research Facility is where Keilah's seaport once was. The seaport was completely shut down in 1981. The land served no purpose for a while but after a proposed plan was approved, the current facility was built. Construction was completed in 1986 and Rapid Transit service was extended to the facility in early 1990s. 

medicalresearch.png

medicalresearchelservic.png

And here is an overview shot of downtown. If you look closely, you can see the Plaza. Actually a collection of plazas, the Plaza is a strip of plazas between the buildings in downtown Keilah. It was originally a rail line that ran from the southwest industrial district over to the seaport. After the seaport was decommissioned, the rail was pulled up. Today, it is a clean, family-friendly place to grab a soft pretzel and enjoy a sunny day.

keilahdowntownoverview.png

Downtown @ night:

keilahdowntownoverviewn.png

As usual, here is an overview shot:

keilahdowntownzoomout.png

Thanks for stopping by. As always, your feedback is appreciated. 
Sign in to follow this  

7 Comments

Recommended Comments

I love the downtown! Seeing it makes me need to catch up on my work so I can update, too!

Very nice!

Share this comment

Great looking downtown.  The choice of buildings is varied, and it's not a skyscraper forest.  I really like the mix of rail lines that go through the urban center.

Share this comment

I think I'm going to start replying down here. :)

Replies:

thefunktopus - You don't have to show off your entire region all at once. I would really like to see what you're up to!!

IrvingTwoSmokes - Thank you!

Monay - Thank you for more positive feedback. I think I have figured out what that one building was and if so I will PM you the name (it was the one in Shiloh).

sumwonyuno - This CJ is very focused on rail so its always good to see folks commenting on the rail system. Thank you!

vivapanda - I never thought someone would figure that out. I was looking at words in the Greek Bible dictionary and I came across Chora and thought it was an excellent name for my region. Thanks for your comment!

Share this comment