Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

City Council 1

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IrvingTwoSmokes

NOTE: The City Council entries aren't going to treat you to my Photoshop skillz or interesting pictures, instead they will show you lame-o MS Paint pictures. This is where the city building stuff gets done. The next entry will be a "Results" entry, and it will be set up like the Introduction.

_________

It's a beautiful, sunny day. The birds are chirping, and tourists are walking down Main Street, buying their souvenirs. Not too interesting. It's been a little over a week since you moved here, and everything's settled in. The kids are off to their first day at school, and your spouse is off at the school teaching. Time for you to go to work.

Of course, your job is City Planner, the mayor's main advisor. You used to plan suburbs, but you were looking for a challenge. Redwoodburg, being a rare tourist boomtown, has a new set of challenges that make it one of the few in the nation like it. Anyway, there's a city board meeting, where this year's main plans will be presented. These plans are big enough to drastically affect the town, and may affect population growth and city opinion.

Now it's time to get down to business. You go inside town hall, and walk into a conference room, where you find all the most powerful people in town, and elsewhere. There's the mayor, the spokesperson for the Clean Water Foundation, the CEO of Jupiter Marine (A small marine company), and an industry lobbyist. In front of you is a large stack of paper. Now since reading all that right now would be a drag, you flip to all the diagrams. The meeting is now in session, and the plans are presented.

civics.jpg

Plan Set 1

Plan 1- Build a Police Station

This plan would specify a row of shops, currently for sale, would be bought by the city and used to build a new police station. The police station would be effective within the town itself. This plan would make our streets safer.

With the plan presented, a local in the room stands up. He starts a short speech:

"Hello everyone. everyone who's lived here a while knows me. Those who don't, I'm John Ross. I was once a deputy in Collinsburgh. We all know what happened early on. The town didn't invest enough money into the police force, and for a good twenty years the town was overrun with criminals. We can stop it before it starts if we just invest in a police station that covers the downtown area, where the bars and such are. The way I remember, lots of crimes happen around bars. The guys get tipsy, start throwin' stuff around, ya know... Anyway, if you get a good police force the city's safer and more people move in. I hear a resort might open up if the area's safe... but that's just rumors."

He sits down.

Plan 2- Build two Water Treatment Plants

This plan would allow two areas of farmland to be used for water treatment plants. The cost of these are high, but state and federal subsidies may allow up to 65% of the total cost to be paid for by the state and federal governments.

Next, a lady starts a speech.

"Now, some y'all know I'm the spokesperson for the Clean Water Foundation. Now, being a gardener and a nature lover, I know how important our water is, 'specially our lakes and rivers. Raise your hand if ya love fishin' off the seawall? (Nearly everyone raises their hand) Exactly. Well, if y'all looked closely, you'd notice the water by the farms are a brown sludge. If we built these treatment plants, the groundwater would be treated before it runs into the river. Think of all the three-eyed fish we'd be catching if we didn't fix it."

Next, the CEO of Jupiter Marine stands up.

"If we cleaned that sludge up I'd be happy to finance a Yacht Club. The waters here are great, and beautiful. Once the rich people move in, they're gonna love the Yacht Club, not to mention the boost in land value and tax income...."

_____

zonings.jpg

Plan Set 2: Zoning

Plan A: Zone for Commerce and Residential

(Side Option: Continue the Seawall)

For this, a local businessman stands up.

"Hi. For those of you that don't know me, I'm the owner of a camera store. I sell memory cards, camera, for low low prices. Anyway, the town is small. For me, there isn't a large enough population base for me to make a decent profit. Sure, the tourists come and go, but if we want a dot on the map that says "Redwoodburg" then we need to grow. The demand is there people! This town is a tourist town. If we wanna cash in on it, we gotta invest in it. We don't need any industry clogging up the air. Just step outside and smell the air... smells like flowers, don't it? It DOESNT smell like fumes. Lets keep it that way."

Plan B: Zone for Light Industry

For this plan, a fat cat stands up.

"Hello everyone. I'm the owner of a plastics molding company, and we're looking for some new property. If I were you, Mr. TwoSmokes, I'd invest in industry. Sure, the air isn't gonna smell like an air freshener, but it sure does bring in the dough. Industry makes money, and some of that money goes to the town. If I'm correct, the town is in a small deficit. That small deficit would turn into a large surplus if you encourage industry. Besides, when the recession hits you're gonna want to base your income over commodities, not families of four on their summer vacation."

______

After some small issues, the crowd leaves, and you examine the stat page.

datalv.jpg

The stat page doesn't cover all the issues brought up, but it helps a bit.

NOTE: You must chose a plan from each plan set. For example, you want the police station and the water treatment plant. That can't happen, because they are both in the same plan set. I will be looking over the results later, and a results update will follow. Happy choosing!

Next Entry: Results 1

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

6 Comments

set 1: Plan 2: water purification- this would bring in the marina and much needed development.

set 2: Plan b: Industrial zones-This would generate a steady revenue for the town and would help satisfy demand.

Share this comment

Set 1: I say Water purification if its needed, otherwise police station.
Set 2: Industrial zones as the demand seems to be the highest.

Share this comment

Plan 1. The public Opinion wants a police station and I agree. If the Resort hotel opens, this would be great for small shops and tourism.
Plan 2. Commercail And Residential! Industry will clouge the rivers more and lower tourism which will mean shops closing!

Share this comment

set 1- police station. less chance of crime= richer people and more tourist
set 2- Commerical will attract people, industries won't(unless high tech)

Share this comment

Set 1: Police Station, for better living standards.
Set 2: Those industrial zones may be a large problem in the future, especially for a small town.

Share this comment

Sorry everyone... I jumped on this too early. I set up the entry a while ago before vacation! This won't happen again, just got excited I guess :D

Share this comment