Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Culture Day

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AND93

Today I'm not going to show you any bus career that I've made lately, but instead I will talk to you about the culture of my country.

The Girondese Republic was created on a small archipelago in the Mediterranean sea in 1961 by some portuguese idealists who thaught the democracy in Portugal was weak and the politicians were a bunch of liars. Still, even though we can vote now, I keep thinking the politicians are a bunch of liars. After 1974, with the Carnation Revolution in Portugal, we were officially recognized as an independent Republic, and became Portuguese allies. In 1976 the treaty of Povoa, signed in Povoa do Varzim (near Porto), made official that all of the national sports teams would be federated in Portugal. This treaty was only break in 2007 with the foundation of the 1st and 2nd national leagues of soccer and with the project to create the Gironda National Football Team (which started in the other day with a large win for 3-0 against Greece).

Now I'm going to present you the official data from our country:

Name: Girondese Republic (Republica Girondina)

Capital: Gironda City (Cidade da Gironda)

Currency: Escudo Girondino (based on the Portuguese escudo)

Official languages: Portuguese, Galician, French

Recognized languages: West-Girondese Dialect, Welsh, Spanish, Mirandese

Ethnic Groups: Portuguese (52%), Welsh (25%), Spanish (13%), Galician (7%, included in the Spanish 13%), Togolese (8%), other (2%).

Population: About 2,200,000

Largest Cities: Gironda City (127,000), Trevo (99,000), Povoa de São Gilberto (93,000) and Vinhas (80,000)

Flag:

girondinos.png

By the way, I haven't explained before but since 1985 we have recieved lots of Welshmen due to unemployment in their lands, and large offer in our country. Togolese immigration has also had large expression in the last 10 years, and of course, spanish immigrants came at the same time that Portuguese settlers. I was already born in here, but my paternal grandparents were portuguese who immigrated from Viseu to Vila Nova dos Nabos, and my mother immigrated herself from Vigo, Galicia.

I hope you enjoyed this kind of lesson about Girondese History and Geography and any questions you still may have, ask them in the form of comment and I'll answer you!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

3 Comments