Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

K&NK - GRS (Ground Rail System)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoshuaGellock

The CJ is now over 1,000 views!!! This is awesome for me, because this is my first CJ and I didn't know what was going to happen. The feedback has been positive so far and I'm really thankful for everyone's interest.

I'll tackle some replies and then we'll go on to the update. 

Replies

thefunktopus - Wow. This is a very nice comment you left me with. I'm glad to see you'll be investing in RAIL in your cities. :)

sumwonyuno - Thanks for your comment! Glad you know what a CLEC is. I work in Telecom so I wanted to incorporate it somehow into the CJ.

Retep - I hope you were able to download those stations. I search high and low for rail stations. :) Its good to see someone with a similar passion for rail. 

Today's update is all about rail--ground rail specifically. As I mentioned, Keilah and North Keilah grew rapidly in the 70s when they became a hub for electronics manufacturing. However, prior to that these cities were small and depended heavily on the rail to commute between the two (there was lots of open land between them). Originally laid between 1910-1915, the system was designed not just for passenger transit, but there were also dedicated lines from the industrial sectors to Keilah's seaport. 

The stations in the pictures were updated in the early 90s to their modern design. Fast forward to the late 90s, the GRS now exists only in the heart of both cities, moving north to south in a loop architecture. Rapid Transit has replaced many of the lines. In terms of freight, North Keilah has a small freight station, but it only used for late night transit. From midnight - 3 AM, the freight traffic is opened, and passenger traffic is suspended. All in all, during the day and evening, the GRS transports some 84,000 passengers per day. It is the fastest way to get from one city to the other.

In early 2001, talks began between the cities to merge the elevated rail system and decommission the GRS. However, there are political issues preventing progress. 

Anyway... on to some pictures...

Here is the GRS map:

knkgrsmap.png

We'll work our way from the bottom up... 

Here is Keilah's Terminus Station:

keilahcentralstationver.png

The station sits across from Keilah Arena. Many technology conventions are held here. Here is a night shot:

keilahcentralterminusni.png

This is the last stop in Keilah before crossing over into North Keilah:

keilahgrs1.jpg

This is the section of the rail where it breaks towards the ocean in North Keilah. The train below is headed towards Keilah's terminus station.

northkeilahgrs2.png

A shot of the rail running near the ocean:

northkeilahgrs.png

And finally, some shots of North Keilah's main station:

northkeilahgrs4.png

northkeilahgrs3.png

(check out that guy running the red!)

I hope you guys enjoyed the update. I look forward to your comments and feedback. 

Next up: Keilah

bobolee likes this
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

10 Comments

Woah! You really have a knack for complex rail infrastructure, I love it.

One question: May I ask where you the heavy rail station in the last pic?

Terrific CJ, you got a 5/5 from me!

-DC

Share this comment

Thanks guys. 

DC - Rail is my passion. I'm glad you like it. The rail station in the last picture is here on the STEX. There are so many rail station gems on the STEX. The train cannot be seen when going through the station, however. Just something to keep in mind.

Share this comment

Keep up the good work!
My GLR/TRAM system has now grown to about the size of my rail system (I replaced most suburban el-rail with rural GLR).
This CJ is getting a 5* from me, well done.

Share this comment

Wow. This is looking really, really good. Some of the best transit work I've seen in a while. You have a good consistent look going.

Share this comment

Great job on the GLR and transit work. As usual, Retep is right about the transit work. Overall, the CJ has played out amazingly. Great update.

=)

Share this comment