• Moose
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

City developing Conflict

MisterBlueStar4

Should the entire block be demolished   9 members have voted

1. 1. Should the entire block of historical buildings be destroyed

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's been a ongoing conflict with an developer and residents of Claremont.The developer Remi Bros. wants to replace an entire block of old buildings with more houses.Supporters of the rebuild say there's no need for the old buildings anymore as they are reaching their limit.Opposition says destroying the entire block would erase some of the city's history and there's already enough housing in the area.Should the developer leave the block alone or demolish it and replace it with a few more houses?State your opinion and why.

nnrCgI6.jpg

bobolee and Pluispixel like this

3 Comments

Dear Editor,

The conflict between progress and preservation is an ongoing one and I greatly understand the need to protect the history of our fine town, but let us not confuse age with importance.  The buildings themselves lack serious architectural style and I have not heard of any history associated with them (and I've lived here for many years).  The old must sometimes make way for greater opportunities.  I am well aware of the gentrification issue, so while I am in favor of the demolition, I believe it is important to set aside a portion for low-income housing. 

Sincerely,

Scott

Share this comment

20 hours ago, Microbru32 said:

Dear Editor,

The conflict between progress and preservation is an ongoing one and I greatly understand the need to protect the history of our fine town, but let us not confuse age with importance.  The buildings themselves lack serious architectural style and I have not heard of any history associated with them (and I've lived here for many years).  The old must sometimes make way for greater opportunities.  I am well aware of the gentrification issue, so while I am in favor of the demolition, I believe it is important to set aside a portion for low-income housing. 

Sincerely,

Scott

Dear Scott,

I agree there's no such history affiliated with the buildings.The office building on the right is home to a small magazine company known as Regal Daily.No one really cares if the convenience stores on the left get demolished because Claremont is transforming from a ghetto into a lively suburban area.The company doesn't want to relocate because they say Claremont is their home town and they don't want to leave.Eventually I worked an agreement with the company to move their Headquarters to a office park(which was recently built)which is also in Claremont if the favor is in those who want the block replaced.At the same time I don't want a city-wide protest going on because I replaced a few buildings with better ones,so I might have to figure how this will work out.

Regards,

Mayor, Jordan Helmock

Share this comment