• Moose
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Harrington SC4: Introduction to Harrington

Harrington

A natural growth SC4 CJ

Introduction to Harrington

So, this is going to be my second random project that I want to try out alongside the El Hightonia one. This one however will be in SC4 and will focus around no real goals other than slow growth. This will be achieved (hopefully) through the use of my own version of the natural growth method whereby I zone whatever is in the most demand at the time (this produces some odd things as you'll see in a minute) Don't know if this will actually work in the long run but nevermind, we'll find out,

As for mods here's a list of the major ones that I'm using at the moment:

(Yes, I'm actually using mods in this game!)

SPAM (I like farms)

NAM

Several of PEGS terrain mods

I'll try and keep this list up to date with any major mod that I use, added to the list.

Map wise I'll just terraform as I go along (difficult way of doing it, I know but nevermind) but I'm thinking of a delta /bay /river mouth type region.

Anyway without anymore chat lets have a actual look at what I'm doing in the game.

Entry 1: The Birth of Harrington

So, lets jump right in and take a look at the area our intrepid explorers decided to settle the town of Harrington in. A large inlet just of the coast with sheltered but accessible waters which, I'm assuming would bring fertile land and apparently a whole load of trees!

33qlqLe.jpg

So, it wasn't long before our intrepid settlers had built themselves a small and questionably functional town on one of the spurs of land in the bay. The town has almost everything you'd need including a small ferry to actually get there, lots of randomly planned and built houses, jobs in either farming or factories and a lovely church.

EAxJ3On.jpg

It doesn't however have very suitable roads or any sort of commercial. Nevermind at least everyone saves plenty of money!

So, with the town surrounded, the farms continued to spring up alongside other smaller (and bigger, much to Harringtons annoyance) settlements as the growth continued around and across the bay.

fgToRS1.jpg

It was around this time that the demand for everyone to be a farmer died off and apparently warehouses and factories became all the rage. Fresh airs overrated I guess? As you can see here in Riverside this led to some small docks being created to handle the shipping of the goods (ironically enough though this is on the wrong side of the river to all the farms. Also ignore the money symbol and the riprap, its been replaced by trees. Well ok, the money symbol hasn't been replaced by trees but you get my drift).

rIlXAGJ.jpg

So, I continued to grow everything bit by bit until we got to where we are today. The last major project that I carried out (well major in regards to this map) was the introduction of a bulk container ship terminal to supply a coal power plant. The tree burning thingies we were using apparently weren't going to cut it anymore and coals cheap. This along with another bulk container dock thing has been built on the correct side of the river in Peddleton where all the farms are so at least we got this right!

nwPYAwV.jpg

Anyway that's where I left the growing area for the first entry. Below you can see the current overview along with another one (in spoilers if I remember to do it) which has all the palce name labels so you can situate yourself a bit better with the places mentioned in the entry.

uv2rznm.jpg

Spoiler

naMzOMM.jpg

Oh and we still don't have any commercial!

So, yer, there we have it. Hopefully you'll come along for the ride as we grow this into a large region Please feel free to suggest BAT's or mods along the way. I'm open to anything as long as it meets the below criteria.

1. It's growable. Unless it has to be plopped (services, transit etc) everything will be left to grow as it wants

2. Eye candy is nice but lots of it isn't the whole point of the CJ so I might not get all the eye candies!

3. It's realistic or at least has a relevant cost attached. I like the idea of this being a semi functional financially sound city without a tiny mass incinerator which produces no pollution and has no upkeep cost.

Right, I'll shut up now. Hope you enjoyed it and see you next time!

James

4 Comments

Very nice.

If you go for modded content, go for lots of it by a small(er) number of creators. If you don't want skyscrapers  in particular then (for example) getting everything by mattb325 will keep your low rise game strong. There are lots of creators with similar levels of consistency, just find a few you really like and stick to them. My specific recomendation is this:

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1277

Which i think fulfils your criteria and would be useful in a natural grown region for a while, as they grow at quite low stages

korver, CT14 and eugenio06 like this

Share this comment

Nice entry , I like the way you are going about your CJ . *:thumb:  I think your farms look great . 

Edit   Now that you are doing SC4 CJ , I will follow . Looks great so far . 

Edited by raynev1

Share this comment

Nice! I like the rock work around the docks (will have to try that myself). Also, good idea to have a ship to supply the coal!

Share this comment