• Moose
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Worlds on the Edge

RandyE

Storyboarding Using Simcity 4 Regions

CJ_WorldsEdge_RE.jpg.e544cacd462288923c79c2f4374fb3c7.jpg

"A storyboard is a graphic organizer in the form of illustrations or images displayed in sequence for the purpose of pre-visualizing a motion picture, animation, motion graphic or interactive media sequence."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storyboard

In the region view above is a simple linear storyboard. Regions may be made up of 3 sizes of rectangular tiles and several elevations. SC4 space is scaled in 3-dimensions, technically referred to as 'trimetric' projection. Text can be entered as region, city, and mayor names, and text can be written directly on the tiles or as signs placed on the tile.

--/--

Worlds on the Edge

There are 6 large city tiles, one is used twice. Each city represents a condition of the world.  All conditions are considered to exist simultaneously at any time. The story is arranged so that neither the past nor future are conclusive, but between each condition exists the possibility of either worsening or bettering condition, looping back or forward in time.   Its a world in constant danger and great hope.

On January 26, 2017, the Doomsday Clock maintained by the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists was moved to 2.5 minutes to midnight, the closest its been since 1953, so we begin our journey with a view of our fractured futures...

I. Fractured Futures

01_FracturedFutures_REcityJournal.jpg.0d27655c1deae4560aab6c8f5ca4ab5e.jpg

II. Past Paradises

02_Past_Paradises_REcityJournal.jpg.5517824c089ccc58006c9577c1a8b2a8.jpg

III. Transitional Cultures

03_TransitionalCultures_REcityJournal.jpg.a2a7e565eeb0ff456150f62d84b1b1f0.jpg

IV. Civil Foundations

04_CivilFoundations_REcityJournal.jpg.b7c9aab0d6d70f067aa70d432bf690f4.jpg

V. Industrial Crisis

05_IndustrialCrisis_REcityJournal.jpg.386661cb38adb387517b569a31ca9e1e.jpg

VI. Utopian Skies

06_UtopianSkies_REcityJournal.jpg.5dbbb9b3e21fe236f408c9e087d91080.jpg

VII. Engineering Imperatives

07_EngineeringImperatives_REcityJournal.jpg.7f72761914da135f1876cda02eb85150.jpg

This CJ entry does require a concluding commentary, and I've been writing and re-writing, attempting to grasp the complex of images and ideas I've presented.  Storyboards are supposed to be concise and brief, giving only an outline of a story and a sense of its meaning and purpose.  Art came long before science, culture, civil structure, industry and technology, the first order,  and no other being than human beings that we know or can imagine, does make art.   Robots can be programmed to make art, but true art comes from a deeper place than machine, animals can dance and sing, exhibiting great passion and character, but true art comes from a higher place than matter.  

So its 2.5 minutes to midnight in a world of great conflict and crisis on every level, from the beginning, all through, and to so far.  Before the technicians, engineers, managers, and performers can do their thing to resolve the conflicts and crises, the artists must do their thing.  The science department has informed the arts department we are down to a 2.5 minute warning before the end of the show and there is no further data.    In the entire universe we may even be the only ones that made it this far.

My first question in assuming responsibility and pulling artistic license is "How many time-outs do we get?"   I've got 10 billion lines of code to process...

--/--

CJ_WorldsEdge_RE.jpg

01_FracturedFutures_REcityJournal.jpg

02_Past_Paradises_REcityJournal.jpg

03_TransitionalCultures_REcityJournal.jpg

6 people like this

7 Comments

Interesting idea. I like the paradise ones the best. Let's hope that somehow the real world goes that route rather than the way it appears to be heading.

1 person likes this

Share this comment

50 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

Interesting idea. I like the paradise ones the best. Let's hope that somehow the real world goes that route rather than the way it appears to be heading.

After unwinding and standing back from this intense presentation, I think I agree, paradise is the best place to be, but it also does seem to require some very, very good tech. to maintain.   Notice I placed the 1x1 'quantum' dish in each of the scenes, continuity of a symbol is an often used device in art.   At least at the basis it means something about quality of communication, as well that much of the world's ills may be attributable to either the lack or distortion/corruption of communication.

1 person likes this

Share this comment

In order to get the paradise, i hope that there are some new Einsteins out there to make the next leaps and to hopefully push the clock back. The most brilliant scientific breakthroughs often seems to be almost conceived whole by their progenitors, not unlike the way an artist with a clear ear for the muses. I saw Paul McCartney interviewed once where he said that the melody for 'yesterday' was just in his head one day. He thought it was a song he must have heard somewhere before. Lets hope the same is true of some transformative scientific breakthrough

2 people like this

Share this comment

4 hours ago, MissVanleider said:

Lets hope the same is true of some transformative scientific breakthrough

Yeah, McCartney wrote 'Yesterday', and several years later 'Get Back'.  I don't think his final equation was correct though.  It seems we always need to give more than what we get, and that seems to be more true to life.  Taking that artistic idea over to general physics, I think its the same problem and why we haven't yet achieved a nuclear 'fusion' reaction, energy input must in some form always be greater than energy output ( not to dispute the laws of thermodynamics).

Of course some may regret Dr. Einstein for his vision as our nuclear enabled world is not exactly as nice as he was, but if we can get to the next level in physics, I think we can make a world so far better than nuclear, it will look like the stone age by comparison.  And I mean that in the positive sense, rather than in the sense of what Einstein said about sticks and stones.  I'm convinced we'll somehow find the way to just step over Doomsday and get back to Paradise.

1 person likes this

Share this comment

Well, I would have included the Yellowstone Supervolcano as well. If nuclear war does not get us, the infamous Yellowstone is predicted to obliterate everything west of the Mississippi River and put the remainder of the world in a deadly volcanic winter. It's due to happen anywhere from 2025-2075, and even if we don't go extinct, there will only be a few thousand humans remaining, and they would die off not having the luxury of civilization. If it were up to me, the doomsday clock would be 45 seconds to midnight.

1 person likes this

Share this comment

I've always really liked your way of bringing (rather abstract) ideas and concepts into the world of SC4. i.e. for the fractured futures pic, placing the skyscrapers far apart, having the landscape torn apart with deep gashes and valleys. It truly creates a sense of isolation (and perhaps as the entry is titled, a world on the edge). Overall it's a very intriguing concept, I wonder where it goes from here *:)

2 people like this

Share this comment

8 hours ago, TheLynx99 said:

Well, I would have included the Yellowstone Supervolcano as well. If nuclear war does not get us, the infamous Yellowstone is predicted to obliterate everything west of the Mississippi River and put the remainder of the world in a deadly volcanic winter. It's due to happen anywhere from 2025-2075, and even if we don't go extinct, there will only be a few thousand humans remaining, and they would die off not having the luxury of civilization. If it were up to me, the doomsday clock would be 45 seconds to midnight.

I suppose even closer than 45 seconds at any given time considering many unknowns in far more powerful nature.  I've used the atomic science announcement as it works to relay the drama of the crisis in our human world terms.   I agree the natural conditions are far more serious, and so emphasize the engineering direction beyond the atomic age with a sense of the unknown and indeterminate.  We're still in the atomic world, its so 1950's, so it makes sense the D-Clock is regressing back and forward at the same time.  What happened to the Space Age?  All I see is some interesting sci-fi and chemical rocket boosted ballistics.   Meanwhile the UN is now announcing Africa has one month before environmental conditions go critical.

Edited the 2 replies into the same post so not to have multiples.

@korver   Quote: "(rather abstract)"

Yeah it was a very 'abstractionist' process, the first image was the last one I made, and between the two I left myself lots of questions.    When I found the medieval sailing ship props in the STEX I immediately thought of your CJs with very refined 'classical painting' imagery.   The next graphics I'm planning is using SC3K which will be a considerable challenge.   As for the storyline in this entry, a day after I uploaded it, NASA announced discovery of a solar system similar to ours, but I'm not going to do weird aliens stuff.   So I'll continue as planned with a different canvas and pallet, but same beloved planet Earth.

2 people like this

Share this comment