• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Benalto, Alberta

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beebs

hac2.jpg

Welcome to my latest! I've decided to create a spinoff from Sights Across Canada... Hamlets Across Canada! Rather than focusing on four small cities across the nation, this CJ will have a much more broad approach.. focusing on small towns that litter the country, never staying in a place more than once or twice. I think it should be interesting to hop around Canada more than we would in SAC, don't you? 9.gif Anyways, lets get started...

cardston1.jpg
Welcome to the village of Benalto! Located in Central Alberta, nearly smack dab between Calgary and Edmonton. Only about half an hour west of Red Deer, it's still on a fairly main route in Alberta, the David Thompson Highway (Highway 11).

cardston2.jpg
Founded in 1914, the village has stayed very stable in size, never growing much. The railway once served as a link for the community, but since the grain elevator was torn down, trains simply pass through on their journey to or from the Rockies.

cardston3.jpg
The town hasn't grown much in its life, but recent developments may see that change. Plans are underway for a new subdivision and many in Alberta see the appeal of living in a secluded area, only an hour and a half drive from two cities of 1 000 000+ people and minutes from one of the provinces most popular lakes.

mosaic1.jpg
mosaic2.jpg
mosaic3.jpg

Deer and moose frequently visit the acreages just outside of the village itself. Sometimes, only the hum of the powerlines and the rumble of trucks as they pass by on the road can remind you that you're in civilization.

Hope you enjoyed the look at Benalto, Alberta! Be sure to check in next time, when we take in an east coast fishing village!

1 person likes this
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

5 Comments

Wow.  Alberta is empty isn't it?  :P  Well, nice to see something besides a big city for a change.  :D

ISF

Share this comment

I agree with all of them. Not much more I can add.

Just simply stunning!

Jacob

Share this comment