• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

The City State Of Marinko

89James89

Replies:

Johan_91: Thanks and I agree, rewarding but can be tedious. Hope your not too disappointed that I reined in my ambition slightly below.

Schulmanator: Thanks and yes, mountains and hills make for more interesting cities in my opinion.

tankmank: Thanks, I'm glad the effort has shown. I've changed things up a little bit now but I hope you'll still enjoy it all the same. At least now the CJ has some actual civilization content.

OOC Introduction

Right, there's been a bit of a change to the CJ/MD. Basically its changing to a region, not unlike Mitiga but with a more detailed back story and (hopefully) general feel to it. Now I know many of you will wonder what happened to the maps I've spent the last couple of weeks working on and there still there, waiting for me to come along and build something on them but for now, the urge to build something small came upon me and this was born.

Having created a small map on a whim more than anything, I've decided that it would be nice to try and emulate my most successful CJ/MD, Principality Of Tantico. With this in mind I've made a small map (12x8 pixels) to build this on. This will share the basic principle of the island nation I originally proposed for this thread, primarily being a Russian/Asian nation. It's located on the east coast of Russia (east of Nakhodka) and will be developed naturally and hopefully provide a fun and interesting project for both you and me.

The City State of Marinko

An Introduction

Welcome all to the City State of Marinko, a newly formed state on the eastern coast of Russia, protruding into the Sea of Japan this small piece of land, measuring approx 72 square km recently gained independence from Russia on account of the fact that there isn't a lot there. Despite the area only having a small settlement at the moment a number, its still home to a multitude of nationalities, including Russian, Chinese, Japanese and a few other European nationalities. Anyway lets get into the actual City State, starting with the national flag and an overview of the actual state. (OOC: I've only got the basic map at the moment as there's not much in the region)

pom_national_flag_3_jpeg.jpg

wip_2.png

Entry 1: Settling Marinko

Right let's get right into taking a look at the actual town of Marinko. Founded on the site of a small sheltered inlet, the first and currently only settlement in Marinko, is solely reliant on a small ferry and dirt tracks unsuitable for almost any vehicle, to access the outside world. Though with a population of around 1,150 this isn't too much of an issue at the moment.

The small town itself is concentrating on becoming self sufficient at the moment with most of the industry concentrated on agriculture and fishing. There are a few factories to provide the small state with a few exportable resources but generally, the state keeps itself to itself at the moment as it grows fairly quickly.

Anyway let's take a look at a few images of the town, starting with the site before settlement started.

founding_site_for_marinko.jpg

A year down the line and this is what it looked like. You can see the important ferry port in the centre and the farm's slowly spreading outwards.

1_year_in.jpg

Recreation wasn't too hard to come by, what with the pebble beaches along the shoreline, a popular place to spend a lazy day.

beach.jpg

Having quickly found out that the area around Marinko wasn't exactly the flattest land to be found, housing started to spread itself out a bit as slopes were encountered. Missing religion, the Russian side of the towns folk had this Orthodox church of St Peter (the decided to patron saint of Marinko) built on an flat are on one of the slopes overlooking the small housing area.

church_of_st_peter.jpg

Several years later the population is as it stands today, around 1,150 people. Despite the small size they do have the basic's there. There's a small volunteer fire department and health clinic and a couple of shops. There's also the current government building sat on top of the cliff overlooking the ferry port. A small but integral part for the growth of the state.

5_years_in.jpg

Finally I leave you with this peaceful scene. A small ford cuts through a stream as a path is cleared through the trees to make more room for the demanded agriculture. Looks like someones taking the opportunity to do a spot of recreational stream fishing though.

stream_crossing.jpg

Hope you enjoyed your visit to the budding little state of Marinko and we hope you'll pop back soon to see us.

Till then

James

5 Comments

Recommended Comments