• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Episode 3: An Athlete's View

woodb3kmaster

ep03banner.jpg

When I came to Nyhaven to play soccer, I had heard about the city's athletic facilities.

ep03im01.jpg

There was ColumbiAir Arena, one of the easiest venues to get to, due to its location in midtown and having its own subway station. As the new rookie in town, I got the chance to ask some of the Huskies basketball players what they thought of their home court. "I've never played anywhere like it," one of them told me. "The atmosphere during games is simply electric, and the neighborhood really adds to the arena's appeal with locals. It's easy to head over to Ebenezer Square after a game for a night on the town, so the stands are always packed."

ep03im02.jpg

The three venues at Sporthaven weren't as close to the excitement of central Nyhaven, but they still made for great places to play and watch games. Walking along the waterfront gave me unparalleled views of the skyline!

ep03im03.jpg

What really knocked my socks off, however, was the place where I would train and play for the Nyhaven Cruisers - at Puget Island Athletic Park. It was enormous, and with such good transportation connections, I could practically live anywhere in the metro area and be just minutes from work. No wonder the city chose this park as its Simlympic park back in 1980!

ep03im04.jpg

The park's Melkovitch Center for Athletic Development was full of young, up-and-coming athletes like me, so it made the perfect place to train. With three different venues, each with a different focus, I could get a full workout in one place.

ep03im05.jpg

Right across the street from there was Crown Insurance Park, where I would play all my home games as a midfielder for the Cruisers. The stadium had just reopened after a massive reconstruction program, and it had all the best amenities.

ep03im06.jpg

With my interest in playing for Lower Columbia's national soccer team, though, I couldn't help but visit Jean Le Conte Simlympic Stadium, where the kingdom's greatest athletes had won so many medals all those years ago.

ep03im07.jpg

I ended up renting an apartment in the park's former Olympic Village, which had been opened to the public as low-cost housing after the Games. It was close to work, and with a station on Saint Mark's Line close by, I could hop on a train and be anywhere I wanted to be in Nyhaven in just minutes.

ep03im08.jpg

When I came to Nyhaven, I was skeptical that it was what people claimed it was - the sports capital of Lower Columbia. They couldn't be more right!

15 Comments

Recommended Comments

I really love the monument with the trees encircling it - really unique - haven't seen it.  Great use of Thianz's Bird Nest and Dmscopio's Stadiums - they always look great.  Extensive...

Share this comment

Wonderful park! Just two questions, where did you get the very long skyscraper in the first picture and the gray building with the two domes in the right top corner?

Share this comment

BOY it seems like my Tour Around the World in Featured CJ's went Fast!  Time flies when having fun!   Well here I am in the City of Stadiums and Venues! Very graceful and lovely place to visit and stay over for some great entertainment!  Going to catch a game and couple concerts  over the weekend while in town.   Since this is my last stop on the tour, I'll hang out and head back to Peyton Monday Morning!

Share this comment

Thanks, everyone!

Wonderful park! Just two questions, where did you get the very long skyscraper in the first picture and the gray building with the two domes in the right top corner?

The first building you asked about is kelistmac's One PennPlaza, and the second is desimciti's Waldorf Astoria.

where to get your parking???
nice parek, It is huge

Those parking garages are by xannepan and are available on the SC4D LEX (make sure you register on the LEX if you haven't already, and keep in mind that SC4D forum and LEX registsration are separate).

Lovely stadiums, mind if I ask what are those stadiums in the last picture? The look interesting.

The biggest one is thianz's Beijing National Stadium. The tennis center is by dmscopio, so unfortunately, it isn't available anymore. I'm looking into the possibility of uploading it to the STEX, however.

Share this comment

This City Journal entry is now closed to further comments.