Cattala

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Special | Along the Tracks

Sign in to follow this  
ThomasSimpson

replies.png

Huston: Thanks! I still don't like it though, and it's nowhere near as good as yours.

NMUSpidey: That was the idea! I'm glad you liked it.

hotChocolate: I love your username, and avatar. It's great to hear the views of a new commenter too.

Lost Realist, raynev1, Mastof, Hazani Pratama: Thank you very much.

Railway-Header.png

Buongiorno and welcome back. This could be the last update for a while because I have my exams soon and the time it's taking to do updates is not sustainable at the moment. But nevertheless I hope you enjoy this update.

Today we're starting in Celeste, the capital. We've seen this station many times before but this time we're starting our journey from it, and we'll be heading a bit further than Aziens and Alder Hill.

Railway-U01-01.png

Celeste station is one of the busiest in the country and is a terminus for many northern and south-eastern rail services. The redevelopment of Aziens over the past fifty years means that as you enter the city, you're surrounded by sparkling skyscrapers and office towers.

Railway-U01-02.png

It's also a busy junction between Calora and Jennai, so Celeste station is always busy with passengers, trains and the odd pigeon as well.

Railway-U01-03.png

Further north, the InterCity line takes a direct route north towards Calora. This stretch of line is the oldest in the country and encompasses Vittoria and the southern suburbs of the colonial capital.

Railway-U01-04.png

The InterCity line, a triangular network of lines linking Celeste, Calora and Jennai, was formed in the 1980s after major track upgrades and the introduction of faster trains meant that now slower, suburban trains could be bypassed by fast trains operating direct services between the major cities. Journey times were reduced significantly. There are now proposals to upgrade the network again to high speed rail.

Railway-U01-05.png

But upgrading the InterCity network could draw funds away from the other National Lines, like the Northern Line between Calora and Seina. More rural routes outside the main cities could lose crucial investment in better infrastructure and faster trains if the focus is on the urban lines. Villages like Larito, in Monte Calida, depend on the railway for a fast, reliable service to the cities and towns elsewhere in the country.

Railway-U01-06.png

To build up to 100 updates of Cattala, over the next ten entries we'll be going down memory lane. Today, we're in Seina. Seina was part of the original 4Cities proposal for Cattala, and was meant to form my natural growth area, inspired by CSGDesign's Boston and emgmod's Illu'a. Seina grew into a large town but was a victim of my transfer from desktop to laptop. It was an important part of the journal but whether or not it will return again is unknown.

Railway-U01-07.png

Thanks for watching, and see you again soon!

Sign in to follow this  

8 Comments

Recommended Comments