• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

2 - 26 : Crikkers

Sign in to follow this  
Jetty Jockey

header.jpg

In today's update we return to the Delaware Bayshore.

locate.jpg

This is a rural section of western Middle Township, between Dias Creek ( pronounced by the locals as Dye-az Crick ) and Green Creek (Green Crick). The inhabitants of this area are referred to as "Crikkers" by uppity folks from the islands and other more ""civilized" areas of the county , a term meaning "hick" or "redneck". They are a simple folk; farmers, trappers, fishermen, and tradesmen who spend most of thier workday outdoors . Crikkers would rather drink a Budweiser than sip a well chilled Chardonnay, and you can find muskrat on the menu at the local church covered dish dinner. You may even find an old toilet on the front lawn being used as a flower planter by the more creative inhabitants of the area.

piercespoint.jpg

First up is Pierce's Point, a tiny bayside community nestled in the dunes between Delaware Bay and the marshes behind them.

pierceshighsbch.jpg

Looking west over Pierce's Point. The even tinier community of High's Beach lies south. (left)

diascr.jpg

Dias Creek twists its way through the marshes north of town. It is too shallow and narrow to be navigable by boats.

potatoisland.jpg

Further upstream is the Potato Island tile. Dias Creek is crossed by NJ Route 47 ( Delsea Drive) . Springer's Mill Road ( northern east-west road) connects to Cape May Court House , while Indian Trail (southern road) heads to North Wildwood via Burleigh.

pennaponds.jpg

South of Springer's Mill Road , a series of small connected ponds forms the source of Dias Creek. Called Pennsylvania Ponds, it is a wild area of Middle Township.

kaypond.jpg

South of Potato Island, Route 47 passes through the Kay Pond tile. This section of Middle Township between Green Creek and Dias Creek could be called part of either , depending on who you talk to. I named it for Kay Pond, a terrain feature east of Delsea Drive. The headwaters of Green Creek slowly flow along the tile's southern border. This area was featured in the opening teaser of the journal, and has seen much improvement ( notably SPAM farms) since it was first seen two years ago.

petrified.jpg

As stated earlier in the journal, salt water intrusion into the previously fresh water creeks has killed off many of the trees along the banks of many of these creeks.

saltkill.jpg

Salt petrified trees along the banks of Green Creek.

bannerplane.jpg

Visitors to Cape May County's beaches in the summer are familiar with the banner planes that fly up and down the coast. These "flying billboards" tow ads for local restaurants , events , and an occasional wedding proposal.

paramount.jpg

Operated by Paramount Air Services, these planes fly from a grass and dirt strip west of Route 47. The young pilots ( most in thier early twenties) gain valuable experience logging flight hours towing banners over the beach resorts.

Well, that's all I have for this update. I hope you've enjoyed it. As always, questions, comments, and requests are more than welcome, they're encouraged ! Thanks for viewing.

-JJ-

Sign in to follow this  

5 Comments

Recommended Comments

Very interesting update once again, but that goes without saying. I'm following along well enough, but would you be so kind as to clarify where the captions are for each picture? Is it caption then picture? Or is it picture then caption? Sometimes I'm a little confused and everyone does it differently here.

Share this comment

A Bud with the crikkers sounds like fun to me. I like the salt petrified trees, and using the maxis scrub brush along the treeline makes for a smooth transition between trees and marsh. Great update!

Share this comment

Loved the very rational notion that salt water kills fresh water tree roots :) And you have created that believeable in SC4, way to go!

Share this comment