Tarvastu

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Soovide

Coppertown2

9rNhD.jpg

Map of Tarvastu metropolitan area, Showing Soovide and the bay.

8Ureu.jpg

Soovide started off as a walled fortification atop a limestone cliff, Here we see the tower of the old City Hall, and the old Market Square.

YmYPc.jpg

The crowded Soovide old town is the largest of the four walled cities in Tarvastu.

ReX6W.jpg

The city soon developed outside the city walls, where historic preservation laws permitted the constant renewal of architecture, resulting in a large clash between 18th century and 21th century architecture just past the old city walls.

R84SD.jpg

Soovide wraps around a large bay, large residential developments cling to the coast to satisfy the ever growing demand for bay front real estate.

oeOEl.jpg

The new Warriors' Field sits near the industrial district.

czv1S.jpg

The two tallest buildings in the country stand side, sandwiched between the old city and the bay.

08aRA.jpg

Old and New, Soovide is known for its limited space and dense development.

X9UQ5.jpg

Few newer plazas have been opened up in recent years, as land won from the bay is developed into a fast growing financial district.

lQvCm.jpg

The old Liberty pillar stands atop the northern hill, where the city first saw mayor development in the 20th century.

Which city would you like to visit next?

T4CEH.jpg

9 Comments

Recommended Comments

I love the "clash" between the old-world architecture and the new high-rise buildings. It's all set up very well. I like your plazas and roundabout's, too; it keeps the whole area from feeling "claustrophobic." Nice job!

Share this comment

At first I was wondering what this CJ section has been missing, then when I saw the entry in your CJ. I was like "oh yeah...", and after this great entry, I don't think I'll be forgetting your amazing CJ anytime soon

Share this comment

very nice mix of achitecture and good post-production on the pics. You may want to pay a bit more attention to terraforming though, some roads make for a pretty bunpy ride and it would make for an even better looking city! :thumb:

Next I would like to see Tallinn

Share this comment