• Moose
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Maidan Al-Jazair Mosque & French Quarter

elavery

A prominent feature along the waterfront of Lagouira is the Maidan Al-Jazair Mosque. Completed in 1990 to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Gharbiyya's independence, the mosque is built on reclaimed land. This was inspired by the verse in the Qur'an that states "the throne of Allah was built on water". The minaret towers 210 m (689 ft) into the sky and is the world's tallest.

LagouiraImage3.jpg

1024px-Morocco_Africa_Flickr_Rosino_December_2005_82664690.jpg

The interior of the mosque is a sight to behold with almost all of the materials used in the construction taken from Gharbiyya, except for the columns and chandeliers. It took six thousand traditional Gharbiyyan artisans five years to create the abundant and beautiful mosaics, stone and marble floors and columns, sculpted plaster moldings, and carved and painted wood ceilings.

Hassan_II_Mosque_Casablanca_Interior_2011.jpg

The Maidan Al-Jazair Mosque sits infront of the French Quarter of Gharbiyya which contains the exclusive Hotel Cambronne and Le Grand Cafe. This section of Gharbiyya is always teeming with tourists who are eager to see the little part of Europe that exists in this Western Saharan country.

LagouiraImage5.jpg

LagouiraImage4.jpg

LagouiraImage6.jpg

The next destination on this City Journal will be a visit to the ancient walled part of Lagouira, the Medina. A glimpse of the Medina can be seen below.

LagouiraImage2.jpg

1 person likes this

14 Comments

I agree. I don't think the world can ever have enough Middle-Eastern CJ's, and this looks like a very good one. :yes:
1 person likes this

Share this comment

The Medina looks terrific! I can't wait to see more of your city :thumb:
1 person likes this

Share this comment

Finally another Middle Eastern CJ! :thumb:

I hope to see some slums and additional custom lotting from you. ;)
1 person likes this

Share this comment

wow Eugene !
this is fabulous really !
best I have seen in a long time man :)
1 person likes this

Share this comment

I wanted to comment on something.
The cresent and the star, are not the symbol of Islam, Islam have no symbols.
The cresent and the star symbol started in the othman era and not in anyway or case with Islam.

Share this comment

You also miss-translated the verse of quran as "The "throne" of God "was" "built" "on water" ), that is a complety incorrect translation, and it's not "was", it may have a good interpreation or translation, but you can't just translate Quran word by word, you can't also read it word by word, just like that as a newspaper, it's deeper than that.
And also, if "built" and also "was" then who built it?

I can see that the contruction of the mosque was indeed inspired from that verse, but your translation made it look, well, somehow weird and incorrect.

Correct me if i'm wrong :)

Share this comment

Aside from that, I really like your CJ :D
The european city looks good, I can't wait to see the rest of the city and the medina

Share this comment

If you are, I think that may files can be usefull to you :D

[url="http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&search_app=downloads&mid=407556"]http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&search_app=downloads&mid=407556[/url]

and

[url="http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&search_app=downloads&mid=381123"]http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&search_app=downloads&mid=381123[/url]
1 person likes this

Share this comment