TowerDude

Kai_Tak_Airport_2.jpg

Replies

ee99 : Yes :P

Molooo : I know :(

NMUSpidey : Well time's up :bunny:

Samerton : Thanks a lot :)

tering : Thanks Terring :)

Mamaluigi945 : hmmm weird, but I'm happy it's a good opening for your Saturday :P

111222333444 : Thanks, I think it makes it better

Fox : Thanks a lot ;)

Paulobergonci : Gracias !

hohohola : Hmm Yes maybe, what would you think is better ? I'd like to know

dabadon5 : Thanks :)

Kokito : here it is http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/24156-teirusu-dashed-yellow-road-markings/

Kai Tak Airport | 啟德機場

Kai Tak Airport (Chinese: 啟德機場; Jyutping: kai2 dak1 gei1 coeng4) was the international airport of Hong Kong from 1925 until 1998. It was officially known as the Hong Kong International Airport (Chinese: 香港國際機場; Jyutping: hoeng1 gong2 gwok3 zai3 gei1 coeng4) from 1954 to 6 July 1998, when it was closed and replaced by the new Hong Kong International Airport at Chek Lap Kok, 30 km to the west. It is often known as Hong Kong Kai Tak International Airport (Chinese: 香港啟德國際機場; Jyutping: hoeng1 gong2 kai2 dak1 gwok3 zai3 gei1 coeng4), or simply Kai Tak, to distinguish it from its successor which is often referred to as Chek Lap Kok Airport (Chinese: 赤鱲角機場; Jyutping: cek3 laap6 gok3 gei1 coeng4).

kaitak.jpg

With numerous skyscrapers and mountains located to the north and its only runway jutting out into Victoria Harbour, landings at the airport were dramatic to experience and technically demanding for pilots. The History Channel program Most Extreme Airports ranked it as the 6th most dangerous airport in the world.

kaitak2.jpg

The growth of Hong Kong also put a strain on the airport's capacity. Its usage was close to, and for some time exceeded, the designed capacity. The airport was designed to handle 24 million passengers per year but in 1996, Kai Tak handled 29.5 million passengers, plus 1.56 million tonnes of freight, making it the third busiest airport in the world in terms of international passenger traffic, and first in terms of international cargo throughput. Moreover, clearance requirements for aircraft takeoffs and landings made it necessary to limit the height of buildings that could be built in Kowloon. While Kai Tak was initially located far away from residential areas, the expansion of both residential areas and the airport resulted in Kai Tak being close to residential areas. This caused serious noise pollution for nearby residents. A night curfew from midnight to about 6:30 in the early morning also hindered operations.

50538_1042556025.jpg

As a result, in the late 1980s, the Hong Kong Government began searching for alternative locations for a new airport in Hong Kong to replace the aging airport. After deliberating on a number of locations, including the south side of Hong Kong Island, the government decided to build the airport on the island of Chek Lap Kok off Lantau Island. A huge number of resources were mobilised to build this new airport, part of the ten programmes in Hong Kong's Airport Core Programme.

The airport closed in 1997

32839632.jpg

2 people like this
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

9 Comments

I had been waiting a long time to see some airport action in this CJ... And it's finally here!

Share this comment

Kai Tak had to have been one of my favorite airports ever- I just love all the pictures like you have in this update- It is almost supernatural to see the planes that close to the buildings.

Great job showcasing this, hope to see more from you soon. :thumb:

Share this comment

[color="#FF00FF"]Love that first in game picture of the plane flying low over the house .. awesome.
[/color]
:blush:

Share this comment

lan tau airport..did you build it?..lan tau airport is my favorite..because of the airport, their build two amazing bridge that connect from city center to the new airport..huhu..my requested..please show lan tau airport in sim city..hoho =D

Share this comment