• Moose
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
400Z9

I remember when I was 14 year old, I applied for my first job at local warehouse near Newcastle Airport. I was in Year 9 at Newcastle South East College, and I remembered that the years between 1991 to 1995, Newcastle changed dramatically. There are new shopping centre at the town centre, new suburbs and new roads. In 1993, I remember watching Newcastle's first apartment tower under construction at the town centre, rosing for six or seven floors up and I really love this apartment tower, it definately increased the density rates in Newcastle. This apartment tower, and new shopping centre and few other new buildings in the town centre definately changed Newcastle skyline alone, and made it look more "city-like". Newcastle is definately growing faster and faster every year, since 1987. I think there are over 35,000 inhabitants in the town at the moment. Since 1987, Newcastle have only one medicial clinic, with one doctor - it was terrible and poison because of waiting list, and everything. Lot of residents protested for a new medicial clinic or whatever. In August 1993, Newcastle Hospital was opened, and able to accomodate over 3,000 patients at once and employed 250 nurses and 75 doctors, most from the big city. In December 1993, I remember that there are big protest and rally in the front of Town Hall to stop the developers taking control of No Man's Land and turn it into apartment towers mecca (like Gold Coast in Australia). No Man's Land is very historically preserved nature parkland, and no one ever developed any where near No Man's Land since when Newcastle was settled. Guthega Regional Council wanted to expand Newcastle Airport terminal from two gates to four gates and allow up to 12 flights per week, but the locals didn't like the idea.

cxlscreenshotnewcastle2.jpg

Newcastle skyline from Mount Royal (1993)

Notice the extenstive housing development going on down at the eastern areas of Newcastle (right).

Newcastle Hospital

Airport Business Park

I work down there, part time! :)

cxlscreenshotnewcastle3.jpg

Newcastle town centre is growing up, regardless of its population!

cxlscreenshotnewcastle3.jpg

LOOK AT HOW DENSE THE TOWN CENTRE ARE!

Tune in to see what happened to Newcastle in 1994 and onwards! Do you think Newcastle will have another tower? Or No Man's Land bulldozed and replaced with bunch of apartments? :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

0 Comments

There are no comments to display.