Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blunder

6. Hiking Fuji-san, part 2

Replies:

@ee99: Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

@ten trillion: Thank you!

@111222333444: Thank you, sir.

@spursrule14: Muchas gracias, and thank you very much for the award!

@benedict: Thank you for your high praise, I hope the Ring of Fire continues to meet that high standard. And it was awesome to see that this CJ cracked into your +10 section. :D

@everyone who helped me get into the BTT+10 and spursrule14's Best Of: sections: you guys rock!

-------------

New Stuff.

Area: Mt. Fuji

Tile(s): Houei Crater, Mt Fuji summit

Welcome back to the Ring of Fire! This update takes us from the mid point of the mountain to the top. To see how we got here check last week's update. The nature in this update isn't quite as extensive as in the previous one, but theres some new experimenting and some things I hope you will like.

1. Continuing up the mountain the forest thins out into alpine wilderness, with large areas of grass and wildflowers occasionally dotted with alpine fir.

20%20mid%20start.jpg?psid=1

2. The trail soon crosses a rocky patch. It's hard to tell what's ahead looking upslope, but was that lava once?

21%20rock%20crossing.jpg?psid=1

3. Looking downhill it's apparent that erosion has carried rocks down off this area. (and murimk's bedrock enters the flora repertoire)

22%20eroded.jpg?psid=1

4. More alpine foliage as the path winds upwards.

23%20wildflowers.jpg?psid=1

5. Soon we reach a lookout spot on the path.

24%20overlook.jpg?psid=1

6. Its Houei Crater. (okay this is kind of an experiment, so bear with me)

25%20houei%20crater.jpg?psid=1

7. Just a little bit of lava spilled from this crater.

28%20bleed%20lava.jpg?psid=1

8. Shrubbery grows right up to where superheated ash once blasted out of this flank venting crater.

26%20top%20houei.jpg?psid=1

9. The far side of the crater.

27%20houei%20slopes.jpg?psid=1

10. Past the crater the ground becomes rocky where it is covered by snowpack for most of the year, and the greenery disappears.

29%20continuing.jpg?psid=1

11. The trail becomes a lined walk of rocks surrounded by snow patches.

30%20endless%20stairs.jpg?psid=1

12. In the thin air it feels like the endless switchbacks just keep going....

35%20stairs%20close.jpg?psid=1

13. ....and going....

34%20stairs2.jpg?psid=1&ck=0&ex=720

14. Hey! the path has leveled out, and....is that the end? A stone shack/shrine at the top of the mountain.

33%20shack2.jpg?psid=1

15. We've finally reached the top of Mt. Fuji.

32%20cratertop.jpg?psid=1

What a long hike. We'd better kick back and enjoy the view before we tackle the long walk back down.

I hope you enjoyed the hike. Feel free to rate, +1, and leave your thoughts in the comments if you feel like it.

Peace. :ninja:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

16 Comments

Lovely, breathtaking. On a clear day I can see Mt. Fuji on my way home from work, it's nice to get a pixelized up-close view of it for once! 5/5

Share this comment

[font="Comic Sans MS"][b][img]http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/733/bestofthebestsmall.jpg[/img]
[size="2"]CONGRATULATIONS!! THIS ENTRY WON [url="http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/journals/2774/entry-13871-week-10-101711-102311/"]BEST OF THE BEST! - WEEKLY EDITION[/url] FOR THE CATEGORY [i][color="#0000FF"]NATURE[/color][/i] [/b][/size][/font]

Share this comment