Ring of Fire

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Mountains of Fire - Capped in Ice

blunder

2. Mountains of Fire - Capped in Ice

Replies:

@ten trillion: Thanks. I hope you do enjoy it.

@Zulu2065: I'm glad you like it.

@ggamus: You're question is answered below, but in short: yup, sure is.

@spursrule14: Thanks a lot!

@hahei: I don't know if I will add any updates to Rip City, but if I do it won't be for quite some time I'm afraid.

@111222333444: Indeed. Lava and pyroclastic flows for all. :evil:

@Fox: Thank you, sir!

@Benedict: Thanks, I hope what comes doesn't disappoint.

@everyone who commented on Rip City: Thanks a lot for your comments and support!

-------------

Since so many seemed to like the map I whipped up, I think that before we get to the regular construction in Ring of Fire I'll give a tour of the high points (literally) on the map. Remember, the only elements of this map that are mine are the adequate-at-best coast line and flat ground. Everything else in the map was an adaptation of something already created by someone else, usually the NHP team, so kudos to those guys for providing such excellent maps in the first place.

The Ring of Fire map contains volcanoes from 7 other maps which have somehow all clustered together and appeared here. Let's start in the bottom right and go counterclockwise. (Note: these are just the naked initial forms of the mountains, not a final product complete with flora).

1. Mt. Vesuvius- The smallest volcano in the region, Vesuvius is the only one I didn't lower in elevation. The real one sits near Naples, Italy and is famous for obliterating the Roman city of Pompei. Although not a part of the actual ring of fire, I included it anyway because it's small and doesn't take up much space.

summit%20Vesuvius.jpg?psid=1&ck=0&ex=720

As you can see, the current summit is regrowth after the previous summit was destroyed in an explosive eruption.

The new summit has a crater all it's own.

summit%20Ves%20crater.jpg?psid=1

2. Mt. Fuji- Mt. Fuji overlooks Tokyo, Japan, and is one of the most photographed mountains in the world.

summit%20Fuji.jpg?psid=1

Since the SC4 screen of the summit is rather unimpressive, I will shamelessly link a wikipedia image:

300px-FujiSunriseKawaguchiko2025WP.jpg

3. Crater Lake- Unlike the previous two mountains, Crater Lake, Oregon is smack in the middle of nowhere. It sits in a remote area atop the spine of the cascade mountains, and is one of the deepest and most beautiful lakes in the world. It was formed when a massive older volcano blew with and exposion that would have made Mt. St. Helens look like a popcorn kernel going pop. If you have some time to kill, it is entirely worth it to do a google image or a deviantart search and look at some photos. Matching the natural beauty of the place will be one of the great challanges of this CJ.

Since the lake itself takes up no less than 9 large tiles, here is just a pic of the tile that wizard isle sits on.

crater%20lake.jpg?psid=1

4. Mt. Hood- The highest point in the state of Oregon at over 11,200 ft., Mt. Hood has not experienced a major eruption since western settlement, however there was volcanic activity around the time of the Lewis and Clark expedition.

summit%20hood.jpg?psid=1

5. Mt. St. Helens- One of the youngest of the Cascade volcanos, St. Helens is the hotheaded teenager of the family and is famous for the 1980 explosion which blew the top off and left a gaping crater. Fortunately the mountain is removed from major cities, so the explosion only killed 50-some people.

summit%20St%20Helens.jpg?psid=1

6. Mt. Baker- The northernmost of Washington's volcanos, Baker is another volcano that sits atop the remains of an older volcanic edifice that was blown to smithereens and rebuilt. In fact, several volcanos have existed on the current site of Mt Baker and have either been blown away or eroded down to nothing. Unlike most of its neighbors, Baker has shown signs of life in the past two centuries, mostly via venting steam.

summit%20Baker.jpg?psid=1

Since the SC4 pic isn't that great I'll again resort to wikipedia:

Mount_Baker_22181.JPG

7. Mt. Rainier- And finally we get to the granddaddy of the Cascade Range. Mt. Rainier weighs in at over 14,000ft. and forms an impressive backdrop to the greater Seattle area. The volcano is covered in Glaciers and heavily eroded. A St. Helens-like explosion would be classified as Really, Really Bad because unlike St. Helens, Rainier is close to a lot of people, and several cities would be buried, including possibly parts of the Tacoma area.

Mt. Rainier is so massive that the summit doesn't really fit into one tile, but here's parts of it:

summit%20Rainier.jpg?psid=1

And a bit closer:

summit%20R%20closer.jpg?psid=1

And a real picture of the mountain, again from wikipedia and taken only days ago. (The air here is dirty this year....eww.)

Mt._Rainier%2C_taken_September_14%2C_2011.jpg

Another real picture, this time one i took myself a few days ago. (I have no idea who that random person is in the shot; I didn't think I had them in it at the time I took it).

Mt%20Rainier%20063.jpg?psid=1

That's it for our short tour around the region's volcanoes. I hope you enjoyed it this preview of the map.

Up next we break ground on the region.

5 Comments

I thought to myself, "Blunder... that name sounds familiar..." Then I checked this and I was like, "OH YEAH! He makes lots of awesome!" I may have posted a similar message elsewhere, but I'm forgetful so it happens a lot. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how you develop this. Great pics so far!

Share this comment

I knew it was Mount St. Helens with the north face gone! Anyways, rest in peace to volcanologist David Johnston and 56 others who died in the 1980 Mt. St. Helens eruption. *pulls hat off head and pushes against stomach as a gesture of respect*...

Nice entry, you got 7 very violent volcanoes which, frighteningly, are all still active, with Crater Lake having the biggest eruption among all of the others. In the next entry you should put Indonesian volcanoes like Toba, Anak Krakatau, or Tambora...

I really liked the entry, 5/5!

Share this comment