Spedbury

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

7. Kings Heath & Other Tidbits.

Ion_Cannon

Spire_Banner.jpg

Replies

@ Exla357 - Thank you :) My intention with the waste disposal area was to have some sort of large facility, there are some large waste plants available but I do not think they are that great myself, being mainly made of maxis lots. Therefore I opted to use a repetition of Simgoobers waste to energy, I hoped to introduce a bit of variety by rotating them all different ways - Though having looked at it two adjacent plants are turned exactly the same way, I also should have mixed it up a bit, I'll download more waste stuff and reconfigure this area for the future I think. Probably as part of an update, not a seperate update in its own right.

@ Zulu2065 - Thanks :) I'm glad this CJ has been of some inspiration to you, a suggestion though, I wouldn't take pictures that close unless all the props and lots are HD, otherwise they look pixellated which can ruin even the best images.

@ jmarshall - Thanks :)

Update

Bit more of a gap between my previous updates and this one and that will become the norm, much busier now sadly. I'll still try to update weekly though. Anyway moving on to todays update which showcases the area of Kings Heath.

Kings Heath is a predominantly residential neighbourhood which lies on the spruced up canal and is arguably the nicest place to live in the city. The area was previously dominated by large cotton mills but now only one remains, this remaining mill has been converted into a large art/exhibition space that showcases both local artists and more reknown ones. Additionally the mill also contains an extensive crafts and gifts shop, a museum on the history of the mills and two coffee shops. The presses and other machinery was removed 23 years ago, the building then stood vacant for a while before being bought with government cultural funding. The building was renovated for safety but much of the original character and structure was kept.

One of the floors of the mill as it stands today.

Interior,_Salts_Mill_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1041612.jpg

Making a return is the comparison overview. Though some of this was shown in the previous update.

Before.

Spire_OverviewDay4.jpg

After.

Spire_DayOverview7.jpg

Overview of Kings Heath and the surrounding area.

KingsHeathOverview.jpg

Kings Heath, located around the canal and light rail line. The light rail line crosses the city, providing a quick method of transport to the mainline rail network.

KingsHeath1.jpg

Although the area is predominantly residential there is also a presence of high tech industry and small startup companies, they occupied land once taken by dye factories, brickworks and other heavy industry.

KingsHeathTech1.jpg

This road provides commuting traffic with a quick fast route to the station, passengers can also change from the main line to the light rail here.

KingsHeath4.jpg

A picture of the renovated Knightsbridge Mill, which is now a major cultural centre for the area.

KingsHeath3.jpg

Railyards, industry and the recent Photex Hydrogen Production plant. The development is part of a prototype compact hydrogen production plant, it is a joint venture between Spires University and Photex Energy. Research is carried out onsite and at the nearby University Science Park.

KingsHeath2.jpg

The residential area of Kings Heath is as leafy and greeny as they come and the area sports several pleasant parks and numerous green spaces.

KingsHeathRes5.jpg

KingsHeathRes3.jpg

KingsHeathRes2.jpg

KingsHeathRes1.jpg

On the other side of the city property tycoon William Emerson has finally been allowed to build his second tower. The site was previously occupied by the old town hall which has been inadequate for city use since the population passed 100,000 many years ago. The new town hall is currently under construction, until it is built the councillors, clerks and other local government staff are occupying the first 15 floors of the smaller Emerson Tower.

Spire_EmersonTowers.jpg

Elsewhere in the region Astoria finally got it's long awaited connection to the national rail network. Though sadly the old church could not be saved and had to be demolished for safety. The nearby canal was also improved. This is from one of my older cities, this is the beginning of an entire reworking of that tile.

Before.

AstoriaCentral_Before.jpg

After.

Astoria_After.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed todays update, comments, suggestions and criticism are welcomed :)

Skymine, TekindusT and Kifflom112 like this

6 Comments

That is awe inspiring. I love the decorations and I am making sure I am making diagonal roads to break my griddy style. I love the help and the cj.

Share this comment

Nicely done, I like the way you're using all this custom stuff, I mean placement of buildings, their alternation, transportation system and the whole city planning.

Share this comment

@ Zulu2065 - Thanks, I'm glad this continues to be an inspiration.

@ Tekindus T - Thank you, this tile is nearly full now, but that won't be the end of my suburban cities.

@ hahei - Thanks.

@ Soer_II - Thank you for your kind words.

@ Weecaeks - I take it you like it then :P

Share this comment