City Noir

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Sidetrack: Bastion - Neighborhoods

Sign in to follow this  
carpenter7

Hello Readers,

I must apologize for a very long absence from my CJ after only two postings. I would like to take a brief detour from the story line and show you the city next door to Radiant (the home of Ryan Falk and the setting of City Noir). That city is Bastion.

Region.jpg

Bastion (Area 2) sits on the southwest edge of Radiant (Area 1). Originally, it was merely a carelessly built city smeared over a large tile set simply to serve the needs of Radiant for jobs and neighbor connections. (Sorry no picture of the original) Now it has been, and is being, completely redone. Only about 5% of the original city, including transportation networks, still remains. The rest is being remade as a 1930s - 50s era suburban neighborhood, a high tech zone (which will include more vintage looking HT buildings if I feel really ambitious), a small industrial zone, and a rural country side on the opposite bank of the inlet. Today we'll be focusing on the area bounded by the blue box which is the newly completed residential zone and town center of bastion.

Lets start with the demarcation point between the outskirts of Radiant (the edge of which is actually a part of the city of Bastion) and the sprawl of homes: a billboard welcoming visitors and reminding them to keep their Cadillacs and Fords at a reasonable speed.

PS Bastion - Entry Billboard.jpg

The neighborhoods are set on wide streets which run from Radiant to the coast.

PS Bastion - General Shot.jpg

There's plenty of space for curbside parking, lots of trees, and almost the entire area is serviced by the Radiant City Tram Network. That means that residents send their children to school on the green car for a nickle.

PS Bastion - School.jpg

Students who wish to avoid the packed urban universities in Radiant can attend Holly Hill College on Allison Street.

PS Bastion - College.jpg

They can also get to church easily on Sunday morning.

PS Bastion - Red Church.jpg

Bastion residents also enjoy spending their weekends at one of the two ballparks currently in Bastion. Use of these city parks has been so high that the city is voting on building another next year.

PS Bastion - Baseball Field.jpg

Families and couples also enjoy seeing the cost at the cliff top boardwalk in the town center at the south end of the peninsula.

PS Bastion - Town Cliff Side Expanded.jpg

Later they can visit the small farmers market or go to the beach at Rock Point.

PS Bastion - Market.jpg

Some families own houses on the coast and others visit the shoreline woodlands just for a breather or a weekend camping trip.

PS Bastion - Beach Neighborhood and Rail.jpg

Of course, the people of Bastion know how to work hard too. Most people work in Radiant or in the large industrial district west of the city. To get to their jobs they can drive, take the Green Car, or take the train from downtown Bastion.

PS Bastion - Town Rail Depot.jpg

They can also board their trains from one of the many rail stations that dot the rail viaduct network running through the neighborhoods.

PS Bastion - Rail Station.jpg

I hope you've enjoyed this trip through the tree lined neighborhoods of Bastion.

PS Bastion - Water Tower.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

5 Comments

Recommended Comments

Jamster_00
I wish I was good enough to make my own networks, sadly I'm not. I made special lots that are 4 deep by 1 wide so that only the special lots for them would grow in the neighborhoods. At the road front of each lot is a overhanging prop that gives the illusion of wide street, with wide sidewalks, with a tram network on it. It's actually just a tram on road network underneath which works because the sidewalks on that network type are very very small. I'm working on intersections to complete the look but for now the streets stop at the intersections.

Share this comment