• Moose

Hirohashi

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Teaser and Introduction

Feo1337

headerintro.jpg

This will be my first City Journal, it's also my first asian themed city after a bunch of European ones.

As I am not native english speaker please excuse me if I will make some errors.

The city-state of Hirohashi is a small nation, once part of the Japanese Empire, bordering with China, North Korea and the Russian Far East.

Born as a small japanese trading post, evolved into the so called "Manshū no kita no tobira" (Northern Gateway for Manchuria) during the Japanese Empire, reduced to a dangerous and encircled US military base during the cold war and finally emerged as a multiethnic financial centre since the late 80's.

mapxdk.png

The City was initially populated by japanese traders, then Hirohahsi has been subjected to many immigration waves during its history that shaped the multiethnic appearance of the city.

Population Census(2010)

39% Manchujin*

28% Japanese

12% Koreans

7% Han Chinese

6% Nani (lit. Natives, incl. Udege People, Oroch People and Nivkh People) **

3% Mongolians **

2% Ainu **

1% Yakutians **

1% South and Southeast Asians

1% Westerns and Russians

*With the term Manchu-jin (lit. Manchu People) are intended Japanese-speeking native Manchurians settled in Hirohashi during the japanese period.

Since the term is also frequently used by people of mixed ancestry actual etnic Manchu are only 20% of Hirohashi's population. A parliament proposal in 2003 asked to institute the term Bohai-jin for japanese speaking native people of mixed ancestry.

**In the early 90's The Government of Hirohashi promoted the "new homeland" policy that encouraged the immigration of ethnic minorities from neighboring countries by offering them a special status recognition and legal protection

teasermosaic.jpg

6 Comments

I see you have raided the best of the Japanese BATers' websites. I'll keep an eye on your city journal, and I'm looking forward to more pictures!

Share this comment

Where did you get you Japanese Houses and Temples :???:

Amazing Intro!
0:)

Share this comment

Wow. I'd woken up this morning with an idea to make a Singapore-style city state set between North Korea and Russia. Then I came over to the city journal page, came across this entry, and realized you'd not only already come up with the same idea, but had already executed it better than I ever could have!

Excellent beginning. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the city, and of your detailings on its domestic structure and relations with its neighbors.

Share this comment