Portraits from Above

TowerDude

pfa_07.jpg

Replies

Clampdude01 : Well thanks!

9988 : Thank you!

Skimbo : ahhhh!!!! yes !

Samerton : Towers D: I know!

111222333444 : well yeah, but it's actually ok because I prepare 3 updates of CJ's and release them as a cycle

Portraits from above

lugong4chris.jpg

Self-built settlements on the roofs of high-rise buildings have been an integral part of Hong KongÂ’s history for over half a century. The rise of rooftop communities is closely linked to the migration history from the Chinese Mainland to Hong Kong. With each of ChinaÂ’s tumultuous political movements in the 20th century, like the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution, there was a corresponding wave of Mainland Chinese migrating to Hong Kong. The large influx of migrants resulted in a severe housing shortage and fostered the emergence of informal settlements. People constructed living spaces by utilizing every

available space and all types of materials on the flat roofs of high-rise buildings. These rooftop structures range from basic shelters to intricate multi-storey constructions equipped with many of the amenities of modern life and have enabled subsequent waves of migrants to live in the central urban areas of the city.

portraits-from-above4.jpg

72796256.jpg

85903961.jpg

14560401.jpg

Rufina Wu (Canada) and Stefan Canham (Germany) utilize the tools of an architect and the tools of a photographer to document the rooftop communities of five buildings located in older districts in the Kowloon Peninsula and slated for redevelopment by the Urban Renewal Authority of Hong Kong. Text records of the residentsÂ’ stories, measured drawings of each distinct rooftop structure, and high-resolution images of the domestic interiors of more than twenty households offer an unprecedented insight into the everyday life of Hong Kong’s rooftop residents

79992290.jpg

34149079.jpg

This is a book I personnaly read and that I found amazing, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in these things

80111519.jpg

18712096.jpg

70238697.jpg

hsbc-logo.png

MTR_logo.png

tankmank likes this

11 Comments

That looks brilliant, great work! Where did you get those houses with the green and rusty roofs? They're great.

Share this comment

*Sigh* Big problem with illegal structures now. Even the Housing and Property Government official...guy...had an illegal structure on the top of his apartment :|

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Share this comment

It is nice to see how the other side live in HK and poverty exists everywhere in some form or another, great updat a bit repetative with the buildings though but there isn't much more to work with unfortunately

Share this comment