Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comment
  • Views

3 - Haverford: The Seat of Power

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gogosago

Just a quick note, but I'll be updating my city journal relatively fast since most of the major areas in my region has been completed. Things will definitely slow down once I start school again. In any case, in this update we will be looking at the capital of Norfolk; the city of Haverford. More specifically, the administrative areas where policies are made and scandals are unearthed.

Like many of its counterparts in most other states, Norfolk's Capitol building is largely modeled after the United States Capitol. Unlike it's Federal counterpart however, the dome's styling remains fairly ornate; a point of pride among many state government employees. This is where both houses of the State Legislature caucus; the Governor also has his office in this building.

Haverford-Jul.jpg

Memorial Square sits right in front of the Capitol building. This area is most known for its war memorial, honoring the servicemen who have died in past wars. This picture was taken right on Memorial Day, hence the ceremony you see pictured. Flanked by the memorial are cafés and restaurants popular with government employees. This area is also a favorite meeting spot for lobbyists to meet with politicians. Also visible are the Haverford clock tower, and the Imperial hotel.

Haverffffford-Jul.jpg

Also in memorial square is the gentlemen's club, "the Moulin Rouge" frequented by a number of politicians. To its right is the famous Excelsior hotel. As you can imagine, the combination of these two businesses have resulted in a number of scandals over the years Many groups have wished to tear the Moulin Rouge down time and time again; especially when a new scandal erupts. Usually such protests die down as the news media turns its eye to a new story. Besides, the business has its own team of well financed lobbyists in the Capitol; they remain unwilling to relocate from this highly lucrative area.

Haverford-Feb.jpg

To the top is Haverford's museum of state history; holding many exhibits detailing Norfolk's history since its settlement in 1615 by Jacques Moreau. To the left you have the headquarters for Capitol News. Capitol News is an independent news outlet that is primarily financed by donors and partial state funding. While also covering local city news, their main focus remains on reporting the dealings in Norfolk's political scene; they have blown the whistle on a number of scandals over the years and has often kept the pressure on politicians.

Haverford-Sgep.jpg

Near the Capitol News HQ are a number of buildings housing much of the bureaucratic activity in Haverford. These buildings were largely built in the 1960's as can be seen by their modernist architecture.

Haverford-Srep.jpg

The Richard and Karen Carpenter Center for the Preforming Arts(better known as the Carpenter Center) is a popular venue for musical, theater and dance events. The Carpenter Center is largely a result of a sizeable donation by the entrepreneurial couple Richard and Karen Carpenter in 1965. They were known for their financial services company R&K Investment Group originating right in the city of Haverford.

Haverford-Fe4b.jpg

This is the location of the State Supreme Court. They have recently gotten a lot of attention in the national media for a number of its judicial interpretations of the State Constitution; especially with respect to gay marriage and marijuana legalization. A number of out-of-state conservative groups have financed ballot initiatives to repeal Supreme Court opinions during election years; usually ending up wholly rejected by Norfolk's electorate.

Haverford-Apr.jpg

The Library of Norfolk is the de facto state library. It is a relatively recent addition to the city, with construction completed in 2005; replacing the old dysfunctional library that had been there previously. With ample open spaces, greenery and a massive collection of books, media and research material; it remains a popular spot for many of the city's educated residents.

Haverford-Mar.jpg

A number of hotels (including the previously mentioned Excelsior Hotel) and upscale residences are located within the area. With many of the legislators coming in from other parts of the state; these hotels and housing options are a convenient place for politicians to reside during their time in Haverford.

Haverford-Sep.jpg

Well then, that's all for now! The next update will detail Haverford's Downtown area. I will however finish this entry with a mosaic. (my first one actually, I'm rather pleased how it turned out)

mosaic.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

0 Comments

There are no comments to display.