Slovakia

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

8 - Near Banska Stiavnica

replyz.png

So, now let's leave Nitra and go more to the southeast. To the city of Banska Stiavnica, and areas near it. It is one of the most famous slovak cities, and it is even in UNESCO. It was one of the most important Slovak cities in history, as a mining city. It has really beautiful historical center. But, I will show you only one picture:

stiavnica.png

Before centuries, there was heavily mined gold, silver, copper, and other valuable metals. But, currently all mines are tourist attractions. In the past, there was also very prominent mining academy.

stiavnicamines.png

The water what was found in the deeps was pumped to the special areas, and created very deep, but beautiful lakes called Tajchas.

tajchas.png

Just near the city are located another famous Slovak places, for example Ochtina Aragonit cave, largest of the three aragonite caves in whole world.

aragonitus.png

In the whole Slovakia, there are also many ruined castles from the medieval age...

castleruins.png

Near the city lies The Sitno Peak, what is considered one of the most beautiful peaks in southern Slovakia. Near the top of peak are located huge forests, and also many sheep pastures.

sitno.png

And very close to Banska Stiavnica is also located Betliar Mansion, beautiful palace built by the Andrazsy family in 17.th century.

betliar.png

Hope you enjoyed this update!

12 Comments

Recommended Comments

I agree with spursrule - the second image of the mine is incredible... and then I scrolled down for the ruined castle which is equally amazing in a completely different way.

Share this comment