Tarkusian Cities

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Chemeketa: Rankine-Dallas Corridor, Part 2

Sign in to follow this  
Tarkus

Hi everyone-

It's that time again . . . another update of Tarkusian Cities is upon us. We'll be back to the Rankine-Dallas Corridor Project for Part 2.

When we last left off, the City of Chemeketa had completed Part 1 of the Rankine-Dallas Corridor Project--hooking Sorenson Street NE into Dallas Drive NE to provide better access to some of the new office park developments in that area. We'll be looking at the work on the north side of the corridor, where Rankine Lane NE will be connected into Dallas Drive.

As you can see here, Dallas Drive has been closed off at the project site (facing north)--the bit to the left side of the first image is where grading is underway on the Rankine Ln extension.

u751.jpg

u752.jpg

Because of the odd intersection geometry where Rankine will intersect Dallas, the city has decided to construct a roundabout here--it will be the city's first multi-lane roundabout (facing north).

u753.jpg

Dallas Drive will be widened slightly south of the roundabout (facing north).

u754.jpg

Paving work is underway (facing north).

u755.jpg

A look at progress on the Rankine Ln extension at the intersection with 52nd Avenue (facing north).

u756.jpg

More paving and roadway reconstruction along Dallas Drive (facing north).

u757.jpg

u758.jpg

u759.jpg

u7510.jpg

A broader overview of the current progress (facing north).

u7511.jpg

Work continues on the 52nd Avenue end (facing north).

u7513.jpg

Getting ready to fully connect Rankine into the roundabout (facing north)

u7514.jpg

The extension is almost ready to be connected into the 52nd Avenue intersection (facing north). As the engineering studies showed there would be a very large volume of right turns off 52nd Avenue eastbound onto the new section of Rankine Lane southbound, a slip lane is being constructed.

u7515.jpg

The roundabout's all connected up (facing north).

u7516.jpg

And now the Rankine Lane extension is completed and opened up to traffic (facing north).

u7517.jpg

u7518.jpg

For comparison, here are before and after maps of the corridor:

Before

beforemap.th.png

After

aftermap.th.png

That does it for this latest installment of Tarkusian Cities . . . we'll be taking a brief look at some other minor projects in the immediate vicinity of this one next time. Hope you enjoyed it!

-Alex

Sign in to follow this  

4 Comments

Recommended Comments

You have so much traffic in an area that's not very densely populated. How do you do it? I always admired this kind of city journaling. Showing planning and placement of newer, better roads and networks. Instead of the build it all then show it off approach. This has substance.

Nice work. :D

Share this comment

I'm liking your procedural approach to your journal, Its almost like getting updates from a real planning or transportation agency. Keep it up!

Share this comment

[b]Zulu2065[/b]: Thanks for the kind words--I'm glad you enjoyed the construction, and there will be plenty more where that came from.

[b]Archean[/b]: Thanks for the compliments--I really appreciate the encouraging feedback on the approach here. As far as the traffic goes, that's a good question--thanks for asking! There aren't any traffic generators or anything of the sort here, actually--it's pretty much all commute-generated automata. I have a big clusters of suburban-style residential zoning in pockets of my city tiles (all large) which are typically centrally located to a number of different commercial and industrial sectors. I've been meaning to show off a region view one of these days, too, which might explain things a little further.

[b]hmm[/b]: Thanks--I'm thrilled to hear you're enjoying the approach I'm taking here! I've always kept pretty close tabs on the latest transportation projects in my local area, and it seemed natural to let that seep into my CJing. You'll definitely be seeing more updates of a similar nature here. :)

Share this comment