• Views

The Beginning

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cwd

From the Journal of T. Michael Davis

March 10, 1900

Weather: Cold, Overcast

At the request of Mayor Delenzo of Erie Bay, I have left my academic life in Cleveland, OH to help in turning around this small community. The Mayor became interested in my services after reading an article I had written for Harper's Weekly on my theories of community growth through proper management of civic resources. After arriving in Rochester by train, I took a ride in Samuel McReilly's automobile to my destination, an uncomfortable journey to say the least. Upon arriving I found to my suprise that the community was not in fact the soon to be rising city he had described and I had hoped for, but rather a quaint community with little access to the surrounding communities. Little wealth existed in the town, with the exception of a few wealthy land owners.

One of the these gentlemen was kind enough to give me the pleasure of using his new "Box Brownie" camera so that I could record photographs of the town of Erie Bay for my planning and research. The first photograph was taken when I attached the camera to a balloon so that I could get a better idea of the community from the air.

erie1901arialedited.jpg

I was shocked to know that the Edison Illuminating Company was providing the small town with electricity, a service that is still not common in most of the rural country.

erie1901agedited.jpg

The farms of the region are smaller family affairs, growing mostly enough to sell in town and sustain themselves. It is in my opinion that the community must turn away from this pathetic attempt at taming the land and dedicate themselves to those affairs of industry. I did notice that they have established some manufacturing and industrial work near their small dock on the lake shore.

erie1901waterfrontedite.jpg

Hopefully, with some urging on my part the community will come to adopt this as their main source of economic growth.

As for the town proper, it is a sleepy village with little in the way of commercial enterprise and filled with dilapidated homes probably built shortly after the war between the States. Most civic life is centered around the village square, like time has stopped for these folks. I hope that they may embrace modernity with little resistance.

erie1901centeredited.jpg

In other happenings, I caught word at the train station that the Cleveland Blues would be playing ball in this new American League. What splendid news.

August 17, 1902

Weather: Damn Hot

After arriving in Erie Bay 2 years ago, I have helped in some minor civic planning that will soon be implemented. But the biggest news of my career here came today. After many months of correspondence and inquiries, my efforts to revitalize the economy of this small town have met with success. Yesterday we celebrated the opening of new factory owned by US Steel. Happy days, indeed. I see the future of Erie Bay. Steel. Although this facility is small, I hope that in the coming years I am able to work with the company in establishing a steelworks here in Erie Bay. The added boost to the economy and the manpower required in it's operation would definitely put the town on the right track.

erie1902steeledited.jpg

In the news, I have been reading that the coal strikes in Eastern Pennsylvania have still not been resolved. I pray this does not have any effect on my intentions of building the industry of Erie Bay.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

5 Comments

[quote name='GoastRider' timestamp='1306865257']
So this city is basically where Buffalo, NY is.
[/quote]

There abouts... but for my CJ I guess Buffalo never existed. :)

Share this comment

Wow excellent work, nice small town with nice use of trees. Great job! :thumb: Nice photo effects as well.

Share this comment

I like the diary format of this journal. Nice pics, a good story line..I'd say this journal's off to a good start

Share this comment