• Moose
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

A gate to the city - a gate to history

peterycristi

Second Update: A gate to the city - a gate to history

fc3ab61a7d0e11c029afd3bfec5f6c0d.jpg

~ Well, here we are again. Hope you all had a good rest in the confortable beds of the Adlon. But come on, let's go out and see a bit of the city! Just out there is Pariser Platz. They call it the "salon" of the capital. I guess it's because all that famous buildings sorounding him. The french embassy, the Adlon, the academy of arts, the US-embassy, the Brandenburg Gate and at least the house of the famous painter Max Liebermann. ~

7285d67108d2388b55dea3f628eb7cea.jpg

~ This is a view from outside Pariser Platz. We are now standing in Tiergarten, the biggest park of Berlin. The Brandenburg Gate, built in 1788 to 1791 by Carl Gotthard Langhans, was part of the city fortification. When the citywalls were broke down in 1868 the two gate houses with there columns where built on the two sides of the gate. Today it still marks the entrance to the city center. That may be too why they call Pariser Platz the "salon" of Berlin. ~

187fe77e404ed77dbc2d1fcd87c5000c.jpg

~ Brandenburg Gate has seen all the history of Berlin and at least Germany. In 1806 Napoleon marched into Berlin through this gate after defeating Prussia. The Quadriga (statue on top) was brought to Paris as a sign of victory. It returned in 1814 after the victory over Napoleon. The prussian general Blücher found it, still packed in boxes, in Paris. ~

b827a0610f3bf1a3acddc611ac28e50a.jpg

Return of the Quadriga in 1814

~ Also the Gate saw our victorious troops marchin in, after we defeated France in the war 1870/71 and after the empire was proclaimed in versailles. This was the year, that Berlin became capital of the german nation and from this point on it was growing until it got the busy and fast city of today. ~

1d990ffded74735a586d7668919498b6.jpg

~ But it also saw our defeated troops marchin in after we lost the big war in 1918! But if we've not lost this war, maybe we still would have the Kaiser. So somehow i'm glad we lost, he is gone and the republic was proclaimed. ~

~ Well guys, you see that building on the right side of Brandeburg Gate? That's the house of the famous jewish painter Max Liebermann! He is one of the most important painters of german impressionism. ~

125fc5d6afa0f08f70cc6d7f24968812.jpg

Selfportrait of Max Liebermann 1916

~ So this was a lot of information for today and i'm sure there would be to tell a lot of stories more about this famous entrance to Berlin. But i think it's enough for today. You just go out and have a look or a coffee. Just aware of the traffic! It has increased a lot since the big war is over, eh! Meanwhile i'll go to write a postcard to my beloved Emmy. ~

0b7bad23bfcec6505e5f509eb460773b.jpg

~ See you soon, guys! ~

11 Comments

berlin is an awesome city now, but was an even more awesome back then, it's great to see an olde Berlin CJ! :D

Share this comment

:boggle: OH MY GOSH!!!! THAT IS AMAZING!!! How did you get the cobblestone and the double tram I WANT IT!!!
:boggle: :boggle: :ohyes:

Share this comment

After all the teasers, I was expecting a great CJ, but this update has gone beyond my expectations! Now, I have the dilemma of choosing between yours and [b]kelistmac[/b]'s Berlin as my favourites, but I guess this is like asking who do you love most, dad or mom...

Wonderful, truly wonderful!

Share this comment

[b]R E P L I E S :[/b]

[b]@TowerDude:[/b] Thanks! I'm glad you like it :)

[b]@Glenni:[/b] Thanks a lot! I hope i can catch the spirit of that times.

[b]@Reikhardt:[/b] Thanks for your kind words!

[b]@JGellock:[/b] Great you like it! Thx

[b]@janslaven:[/b] Well i have to admit, that the scene is completelly lotted. I'm trying to build the historic Berlin in Sc4 , but some scenes are just realizable by lotting. So the tram an the cars are just props, hard to say where the cobblestone texture is from. Anyway i'm happy you like it.
[b]
@Benedict:[/b] Thanks a lot, maybe the vehicles will be for download soon ;)

[b]@TekindusT:[/b] Just love both of us :D

Share this comment