• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Chemeketa: Rankine-Dallas Corridor Project, Part 1

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tarkus

Hi everyone-

While RL's been busy, I happened to have a little bit ready on the first of the long-term projects I mentioned on the previous update.

The Rankine-Dallas Corridor Project, being undertaken by the City of Chemeketa, will streamline the transport networks in the northeastern part of town. The project consists of two major components: a) an extension of Rankine Lane NE, south from 52nd Avenue NE to Dallas Drive NE, and b) a re-alignment of Dallas Drive NE near its intersection with Sorenson Street NE.

The northeastern side of Chemeketa has undergone heavy development, first beginning with explosive growth in the regional high-tech sector and the construction of several new office parks, followed by increased residential growth, which has greatly impacted traffic patterns and has rendered many existing roadway facilities insufficient. Here is a map of the project area:

beforemap.th.png

Rankine Lane is a major arterial in North Chemeketa, running through a busy commercial area and has a southern terminus at 52nd Avenue NE. In order for motorists to head farther south, they must use 52nd to reach either Aldrin Way NE or Sorenson Street. This has led to increased traffic congestion and hampered traffic flow on 52nd. An extension of Rankine to Dallas Drive would alleviate traffic on all surrounding roadways, and allow for better signal timing on 52nd at its signalized intersections with Aldrin and Sorenson.

Below are images of some of these intersections--as you can see, they're not in great shape.

52nd and Aldrin (facing north):

u741.jpg

52nd and Rankine (facing north):

u742.jpg

52nd and Sorenson (facing north):

u743.jpg

Along the south end of the project area, in order to streamline north-south travel, intersection of Dallas Drive and Sorenson Street will be reconfigured to prioritize traffic on Dallas, by aligning the southern leg of Sorenson to create a direct connection with Dallas, and having the northern leg of Sorenson intersect it.

This is the existing Sorenson/Dallas intersection (facing north):

u744.jpg

Contractors are already at work along the northern component of the project--the Rankine Lane extension. This is at the 52nd Avenue intersection, where dirt movement has begun (facing north).

u745.jpg

This is where Rankine Lane will intersect Dallas Drive (facing north).

u746.jpg

We'll see the rest of the Rankine extension next update, and turn our focus to the reconfiguration/realignment of Dallas Drive and Sorenson Street to the south.

Bulldozers have already started turning up some earth along the new alignment (facing north). The roadway seen here is Dallas Drive.

u747.jpg

You can get a rough idea of where the realignment will connect into existing Sorenson Street from this image (facing north).

u748.jpg

In order to facilitate the construction of the new connection, Dallas Drive is closed at the big curve (facing north).

u749.jpg

The short stretch of existing Dallas Drive west of the curve is being re-aligned as well (facing north). It will serve as a connection to the northern segment of Sorenson Street, and will eventually be extended east to Mosby Road NE once the area is developed.

u7410.jpg

The construction on Dallas is now complete, and the intersection is in place (facing north). The southern leg is not connected yet, and will tie into the realigned southern segment of Sorenson Street.

u7411.jpg

u7412.jpg

Here, the new alignment of the south segment of Sorenson has been completed (facing north), with the old alignment dead-ending. Access to the northern leg is now possible using the re-aligned western portion of Dallas Drive.

u7413.jpg

And finally, an overview of the completed Dallas/Sorenson re-alignment project (facing north).

u7414.jpg

I hope you've enjoyed this latest installment of Tarkusian Cities . . . we'll take a look at the remainder of the Rankine extension to Dallas Drive next time.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Will12 likes this
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

4 Comments

Wow awesome work, nice new development in that area. Great work with the transit network ideas and the great suburbs! :bunny:

Share this comment

[b]escilnavia[/b]: Thanks for the kind words--I've always really enjoyed doing suburbs in-game, and I'm glad it shows!
[b]Mikeaut1[/b]: Thanks for the compliments (and the bunny)! I'm glad the transit ideas proved inspiring and that you enjoyed the suburbs as well.
[b]on00122222222222222[/b]: Thanks--I'm glad you enjoyed it!

New update coming momentatirly. :)

-Alex

Share this comment