• Moose

Victoria County

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Weneer - Slopes and bridges

heitomat

Weneer_Head.jpg

The main seaport of the city Victoria is located mainly in Weneer. Allthough a seaport could be interesting enough to show, this update is more like a "behind the scenes of constructing slopes and bridges". Not that I consider myself a guru at this field. Not at all. The slope mod does the job basically by itself anyway.. Nevertheless, hopefully I can share some tips and tricks with you, and perhaps get some in return?

Weneer_01.jpg

Ok, so this is my goal:

• Construct a bridge across the bay with a height suitable for barges to pass.
  • Build a rail overpass.
  • Make realistic looking slopes.

And these are the tools:

1. First off, I need to raise the land where I want the bridge to start and end, as well as on both sides of the rail. For this I use smoncrie's Ground Raiser lots.

Weneer_02.jpg

2. After raising the ground, I demolish the raiser lots and plop 3x1 road tiles on the raised areas. Now it looks like this:

Weneer_03.jpg

3. Slope action. From the middle road tile, I drag rail 9 tiles (similar to the cost of §107). Notice how the slope mod ensures a gentle slope.

Weneer_04.jpg

4. To ensure a smooth slope transition at the bottom as well as on the top, I plop two rail tiles two tiles away from the already built rail slope. Then, I drag rail from these tiles onto the built slope, like so:

Weneer_05.jpg

5. Before I demolish the rail, I add retaining walls. The rail tiles plopped at the bottom of the slope now serves as an indication of where the slope actually starts (Sometimes this can be hard to spot).

Weneer_06.jpg

6. All done. Gone be the rail.

Weneer_07.jpg

7. The slope is now finished and "retained". Let's move on to the bridge. I was lucky that this bridge was perfect for the span.

Weneer_08.jpg

8. Now it is time for the rail overpass. I use the "T Road OnSlope Puzzle Piece" from the NAM. Note that this allows for building an overpass immediately after the bridge.

Weneer_09.jpg

9. But I don't want T-intersections at the overpass, not this time. To get rid of them, I simply drag roads across the puzzle pieces..

Weneer_10.jpg

10. ..and when I demolish the road stubs and place the "Road over Rail Puzzle Piece".. Voìla:

Weneer_11.jpg

11. The slope, the overpass and the bridge is done. It's time to place the missing retaining walls and the underbridge seawalls.

Weneer_12.jpg

12. Finally, from a different angle, I present Hafenstadt Weneer.

Weneer_Mosaic_01.jpg

Weneer_Mosaic_02.jpg

Weneer_Mosaic_03.jpg

These steps are quick and easy once you get the hang of it. And again, this is only my way of doing it. There are just as many ways to make slopes and bridges as there are SimCity players - and that is what makes this game so great!

As a final note it is not even necessary to use rail to make the slope. After all, it uses quite a lot of space. However, in my opinion the rail slope is the best looking.

I hope you found this interesting.

- Eivind

Niall likes this

2 Comments

Altough it's a clever tutorial, this bridge is still a bit low for a harbour (only 15m high). Lots of ships are higher than that. I tend to build my major river crossings (with ship traffic) 3 or 4 times higher than that. Nevertheless, it's a clever tutorial about ho to deal with these problems...

Share this comment

Hi, [b]Maarten[/b], and thank you for your comment. :) I absolutely agree that the bridge is way to low for proper ships to pass. I did some research, and found that e.g. the cruise ship "Queen Mary 2" towers about 60 m above sea level!

Anyway, as described, the bridge was meant as an inner harbour bridge (quote) "suitable for barges to pass".. But I greatly appreciate your input and feedback. :yes:
Ded likes this

Share this comment