• Moose

The city of Elveng

• Entry
  • Comments
  • Views

Elveng city intro

Glenni

Elveng is a city on the Norwegian east coast; nestled between hills, and the picturesque Elvengfjord. The city has been an important trading spot ever since its founding in 1015 A.D; to this day it is still an important hub of commerce, but its roles has shifted from lumber and industry powered by water, to administration for a lot of the Norwegian economy; mainly the oil industry.

950 000 people live in this city and it's metropolitan area, 500 000 of them in the central core.

Info aside, the intro for Elveng will consist of some mosaics, and pictures around the city. For this time it will be mostly centered around the city centre.

We'll start off with mosaic of Skutebukta.

Elveng-Mosaic1.jpg

Skutebukta is one of the oldest parts of the city, with some buildings dating back to the 16th century found in back alleys.

Within Skutebukta you will also find its own rail station. A quite dingy and gloomy looking structure from the 1950s in dire need of refurbishing.

Elveng-Picture1.jpg

You can even see some of the cobble poke through the asphalt in some places along the roads of Skutebukta. Despite this being one of the oldest parts of Elveng you won't see many buildings past 200 years old though, there are only a few exceptions. Modern architecture adds contrast lot to the look of the area as well.

Elveng-Picture13.jpg

The last picture of Skutebukta before we move on:

Elveng-Picture2.jpg

Next up, the city around the trainstation.

Elveng-Mosaic2.jpg

Elveng-Picture12.jpg

To the west of the train station lies Fritz D. Müllers Vei, this is a six lane divided avenue that runs for three kilometres in a straight line, cutting through the city. It was part of the architect's Fritz Daniel Müller's grand vision of a super highway cutting straight through the city in the 1950s, as a result the city lost many of it's historic buildings, and street networks. Due to the lack of funding it was never realised completely, and neither is it much of a highway, with no interchanges; neither speed limits over 60 km/h.

Elveng-Picture3.jpg

More of Müller's handywork can be seen along the sides of the avenue, with concrete towerblocks towering over the sides of the road to the right. Initially this entire avenue was to be lined with buildings such as these.

Elveng-Picture6.jpg

The Sakhahalian people's republic ,and Pridnestrovian Moldavian People's Republic lies within the walled off area in the blue building, the buildings is frequently visited by protestors, often refugees, or family members of people living within the two countries.

Elveng-Picture4.jpg

Next up, is the area of Kjøs, Kjøs is mostly recognisable from the number of narrow streets in the area, cris crossing between the buildings.

Elveng-Mosaic3-1.jpg

Elveng-Mosaic3-2.jpg

Within the Kjøs area lies the radio and television transmitter. The top of the tower has an observation deck, it offers magnificent views over the city, on a clear day one can even see the snow capped mountains in the distance. Elveng-Picture7.jpg

Assorted pictures around the city.

Elveng-Picture8.jpg

Elveng-Picture10.jpg

Elveng-Picture9.jpg

Elveng-Picture5.jpg

This is Stenersenbygget, easily one of the most hated buildings in the city, mainly because of it's sheer size in land area, and the fact that blocks the sunlight for many of the streets behind it, resulting in falling property prices, and crime on the rise. Attempts to get this building approved for demolition are yet to be successful.

Last is a picture of the intersection between Waldemars Allé and Storgata, two of the most important streets in the city. Waldemars Allé was part of a vision by several businessmen to transform much of the central city into a Hausmanian style urban centre, much like Paris. Lack of funding led to only some of the buildings being built between the 1880s to 1910.

Elveng-Picture11.jpg

That's it for this time, i hope you enjoyed the intro. :)

_marsh_, abstynent, Vlasky and 4 others like this

34 Comments

Yay for a Glenni CJ! :D Outstanding start!! Keep up the great work! :thumb: I love your use of custom content, nice waterfront areas, great transportation network, and I like your use of roundabouts!! Very creative and awe-inspiring, looks great!

Share this comment

WOW! I'm speechless... o.O the amount of detail that went into this is just staggering!
Fantastic job! :)

Share this comment

Incredible update, great introduction. And very nice to see a Norwegian CJ! :D I must say, your W2W setups are incredible! And very Norwegian, if I may say so.. Looking forward to more!
penguin1634 likes this

Share this comment

Perfection glenni. You have put so much work into this city and the rewards are huge.

Every last detail - from your own LE buildings to the placing of grass is... amazing

[b]MOAR[/b]
penguin1634 likes this

Share this comment

This is incredible.
The Lot Editing is awesome... You must be very patient haha.
The City looks really great. The narrow alleys are simply awesome!

Share this comment

What a great looking city Glenni. You can tell it's made by [i]you[/i] (probably because of the whole Norway thing :rofl:)

Share this comment