• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Schwanau - The Park City & Airport

MandelSoft

brsreplies.jpg

Adrianor: Yes, when you use them right, Maxis building actually can look good. It's not the tools that makes the art, it's the artist ^_^

TekindusT: Ah, those pesky Coit Towers! :evil:

Reikhardt: Thank you!

Frdm920: Link is fixed now. Glad you liked the previous update.

ImVhOzzi: Thank you!

heitomat: Thanks to the USL, the streets are looking great at night! ;)

I'd like to announce that this CJ is now featured in SC4Devotion's Of Special Interest This Month!

April2011-3.jpg

That means a month of extra updates and content! so stay tuned!

brs-thumb-u04.jpg

Welcome to Schwanau. This city is a large suburb of Schellingen-Stadt. However, Schwanau is a seperate municipality and so does have it's own local authorities. The city likes to promote itself by it's green character: "Parkstadt Schwanau" or "The Park City".

Schwanau also hosts a medium sized airport for international flight traffic. The airport is surrounded by a area of modern medrise office blocks. This looks like a good place to start:

brs-4.01.jpg

As you see, it's a large W2W office district (thanks to ill_tonsko, who created this wonderfull modern W2W office set!). What's very noticeable is the grid-layout. This does make some sense, since it's a modern office district and the street layout is chosen to be optimal as possible.

So let's take a look at the airport terminal. All aboard!

brs-4.02.jpg

brs-4.03.jpg

brs-4.04.jpg

As you can see, the airport has four runways. Runway 18L and 36R are for take-off only, runway 18R and 36L are for landing only. You also see a part of the Ring Schellingen (A10), a freeway-ring around Schellingen:

brs-4.05.jpg

There's also a large parking lot near the airport. A DIY store nearby is very thankfull for all the abundant parking space  :D

brs-4.06.jpg

The Rianerallee (B14) crosses the runways. For safety a tunnel has been constucted underneath the runways:

brs-4.07.jpg

At the other side of the tunnel, there is a grade-seperated connection with the A10. To the north it goes to the next suburb, Rianstedt:

brs-4.08.jpg

brs-4.09.jpg

Now here's a question for you: after which two SimTropolis AND SC4Devotion members is Rianstedt named after?

Another picture of the A10. Here you see the freeway going in-between the suburbs Rianstedt (left) and Schwanau (right). The type of freeway lighting is quite uncommon in Schellingen. In fact, this is actually an experimental setup using white LED-lights (instead of low-pressure sodium fluorescent tubes). So far, it's quite successfull.

brs-4.10.jpg

Next up is a freeway interchange, the Schwanauer Kreuz, where the A10 (left to right) crosses the A12 (top), which loses its freeway status after this interchange and goes further East as the B12 (bottom) (yes, we look at this interchange from the East). This interchange can be classified as a cloverturbine (add with my own classification Type 1, which means that there's only one turbine ramp. Other types are 2cis, 2trans and 3)

brs-4.11.jpg

brs-4.12.jpg

We move on to Rianstedt and have a look around there:

brs-4.13.jpg

brs-4.14.jpg

brs-4.15.jpg

We also take a little peek at the south side of the city:

brs-4.16.jpg

Here we have the railway station of Schwanau. There are shuttle buses that are riding from the station to the airport and vice versa. There is a tram line planned to this station to replace the shuttle buses, but so far it's not realised yet.

brs-4.17.jpg

Schwanau is constructed at the shores of the river Schelling. One of the city districts is therefore called "Am Schelling"  ;)

brs-4.18.jpg

And now I'll show you why this city promotes itself as the Park City. A few pictures say more than thousands of words.

brs-4.19.jpg

brs-4.20.jpg

brs-4.21.jpg

brs-4.22.jpg

brs-4.23.jpg

brs-4.24.jpg

Now there are three bridges that connect Schwanau to Schellingen-Mitte, of which I'll show you two:

brs-4.25.jpg

brs-4.26.jpg

On the East side of the river starts Schellingen-Mitte, and here we conclude our mega-update:

brs-4.27.jpg

brs-4.28.jpg

brs-4.29.jpg

(and yes, Bernhard, that's a at-grade railcrossing there in the last picture. I just had not much room there for an underpass. But it's one of the very, very few at-grade railway crossings in Schellingen-Stadt)

Join me next time as we take a visit in Martensburg!

Best,

Maarten

16 Comments

Recommended Comments

Congratulations on being OSITM, and thank you for posting such an amazing update - just beautiful shots of your city, suburbs, industry, freeways, rail. All excellent.

Share this comment

Many things to say about this update! First of all, congrats on your OSITM; you deserve it!

As for your RHW usage, I think that if you show this in your university they'll validate you a bunch of credits in your highway design-related subjects you have to study...

Even though the Coit Tower Epidemic is still striking, you've managed to show us some delicious suburbs, and they look very nice even with a lot of Maxis content! And the Ill_tonkso's buildings night shot is stunning...

I have to be critical, though, with the airport. I'm aware that everyone has its own style and after all, this is SimCity; but there are some features that, as an airport fan, I haven't liked much...

- Four runways: Does a "medium sized" (in your own words) airport need so many runways? Just some quick examples: an international hub like Paris Charles de Gaulle has four runways. Another hub like Amsterdam Schiphol (you must know this one well) has four plus an extra one quite far from the terminal and three are parallel... The most extreme case of parallel and adjoining runways I know is Dallas George H. Bush airport with four parallel main runways, like yours. But after all, it is Dallas airport... You know what I mean. These ones are massive airports that really need so many runways.

- Distance between runways: I'm pretty sure that if two of those 737's come accross in adjoining runways, they'll crash their wings. I think that the minimum clearance you should leave between the runways is the double, four SC4 tiles (64 meters) instead of two.

- Tarmac markings: I don't know if this one is your first airport, but you could try experimenting to build your tarmac zones with not only aprons and taxiways. That's not a major issue, but it's always nicer (and more realistic) to see the "correct" floor tiles.

- Terminal layout: It's very original and risky, and that's a great idea. We always appreciate to see originally laid layouts; but they have the risk that some of the planes parked in the gates cannot leave the gate because there are other parked planes in the middle.

And please, don't feel "attacked" for this suggestions, they're just friendly observations. I'm absolutely sure that with a little practice you'll show us incredible airports, just like you do with your highways! ;)

Share this comment

[quote name='TekindusT' timestamp='1301941545']
Many things to say about this update! First of all, congrats on your OSITM; you deserve it!As for your RHW usage, I think that if you show this in your university they'll validate you a bunch of credits in your highway design-related subjects you have to study...Even though the Coit Tower Epidemic is still striking, you've managed to show us some delicious suburbs, and they look very nice even with a lot of Maxis content! And the Ill_tonkso's buildings night shot is stunning...I have to be critical, though, with the airport. I'm aware that everyone has its own style and after all, this is SimCity; but there are some features that, as an airport fan, I haven't liked much...

- Four runways: Does a "medium sized" (in your own words) airport need so many runways? Just some quick examples: an international hub like Paris Charles de Gaulle has four runways. Another hub like Amsterdam Schiphol (you must know this one well) has four plus an extra one quite far from the terminal and three are parallel... The most extreme case of parallel and adjoining runways I know is Dallas George H. Bush airport with four parallel main runways, like yours. But after all, it is Dallas airport... You know what I mean. These ones are massive airports that really need so many runways.

- Distance between runways: I'm pretty sure that if two of those 737's come accross in adjoining runways, they'll crash their wings. I think that the minimum clearance you should leave between the runways is the double, four SC4 tiles (64 meters) instead of two.

- Tarmac markings: I don't know if this one is your first airport, but you could try experimenting to build your tarmac zones with not only aprons and taxiways. That's not a major issue, but it's always nicer (and more realistic) to see the "correct" floor tiles.

- Terminal layout: It's very original and risky, and that's a great idea. We always appreciate to see originally laid layouts; but they have the risk that some of the planes parked in the gates cannot leave the gate because there are other parked planes in the middle.

And please, don't feel "attacked" for this suggestions, they're just friendly observations. I'm absolutely sure that with a little practice you'll show us incredible airports, just like you do with your highways! ;)
[/quote]
This deserves a long reply...

Thank you for you kind reply. To be honest, this is my third airport, but I'm not really an expert building airports (that's why I may got some tarmac markings wrong and the distance between the runways too little). I thought this would look fine. This airport is ment to be a hub of the continent.

Now you've made some statements of which I can agree with, mainly about the runways.

About my freeways, I've been a member of a dutch road-geek forum (wegenforum.nl) and I've got some information from there, helping me to design interchanges and signage. Traffic subjects are subjects for next year of my study; now I only have basic courses like construction mechanics and linear algebra.

Best,
Maarten

Share this comment

Congratulations and thank you for showing us a fantastic update! I really like your style! Maybe you could demolish some repeated buildings (I know they keep growing but maybe another one could grow)

Share this comment

Very Nice Maarten!

I do have to agree with Tek about the airport, it's a nice original layout but it's too compacted (any plane trying to get out would hit another plane/the terminal) there is also the small issue of your runway markings, you said two of the runways were for landing and two for taking off? What if the wind changes, your runway isn't marked for that :P

Otherwise. Splendid update, and a very green city indeed!

Share this comment

Epic update, Maarten. The pictures are absolutely amazing! The freeways are great, as usual, and the airport looks fantastic; I particulary like the diagonal concourse design.

Also, the Park City suburban pictures are real eye-candy. The red brick streets provide a beautiful contrast to the green parks. Nice!

By the way, just out of curiosity: You seem to use the American (standard) RHW textures. Why is that?

Really looking forward to more Schellingen stuff!

Share this comment

I finally found the shovel I needed to scoop my jaw up off the floor. Your work is brilliantly done. I can only hope that my own projects turn out half as good.

Question: what is the roundabout filler you are using that has the zebra striped arrows like in picture 4.14? or is it as I may be hoping a road markings mod that does it to all roundabouts?

Share this comment

Wow, beautiful differentiation of buildings and custom content! I really like your seaside neighborhoods as well, really nice suburban areas! :thumb: I'll definitely be coming back for more, great work with the terraforming of the roads and the transit networks as well!

Share this comment

I don't understand how you can make this like it is, its amazing! I wish i could have all those add ons... I cant find any on the stex.

Share this comment