• Moose

Dubai

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Waterfront

AIX

Waterfront is a large artificial archipelago this is designed to be a self-contained "city within a city".

waterfront24mar11map.jpg

One can theoretically live, work, and play without ever leaving the islands. Our first image is a general overview of the islands and the intended purposes of each. Green marks residential, blue commercial, and yellow industrial. Unmarked areas are still being decided. The green zones are referred to as the Residential Ring and the chain of blue islands near the centre comprises Commerce City. The industrial zones have yet to be named. The waterfront includes the crescent and all the islands closer ashore. The Palm Jebel Ali and the mainland are not included.

Statistics

These will be approximate due to the fact that I am not using the square city boundaries the game dictates. The Waterfront is comprised of several large tiles.

Residential Population: Approx 1.8 million | Commercial Population: Approx 1.1 million | Industrial Population: Approx 600,000

A Closer Look

nakheelcentre.jpg

This is the Nakheel Centre. It hosts a football stadium as well as the headquarters of Nakheel Properties. Nakheel Properties is the company that has developed several of the islands including the entire Waterfront System.

spag.jpg

We call this the Spaghetti Interchange (Interchange No 2). It links the principal coastal highway - Sheikh Zayed Road to the Waterfront Parkway. This is also the principal road and rail link from the mainland onto the crescent.

waterfront1.jpg

Here is a cross section of the Residential Ring (top left) and one of the Commerce City Islands (lower right). This area is still under heavy development.

waterfront2.jpg

Some more of Commerce City and Airport Island. Also a small corner of the Industrial Islands (a name is still being decided - feel free to chime in with suggestions). An aside, I cannot get my airport to upgrade. It's at 245,000 of 287,000 capacity and I still don't get the option. Ideas?

13 Comments

This is a great idea, but it seems strange that industry gets the prime waterfront locations. Personally, I think it would be better for those areas to be low/medium density residential, and industry to be on the "mainland" on the bottom of the zones picture.
Ded likes this

Share this comment

@jim 546: I didn't originally plan on having industrial on the islands, but as I got further from the mainland, I found that industrial demand just kept skyrocketing and everything else stagnated despite placing huge industrial tracts on the mainland. The Crescent itself from tip-to-tip is 5 large city titles. I simply could not get Sims living on the outer tip to commute thru 3-5 cities to quench their thirst for industry. I've even fiddled with the traffic simulator. Additional suggestions would be much appreciated if possible.

Share this comment

Awesome job, it looks really nice, inspired now - will be interesting to see traffic maps, quite a complex traffic system you've got going there :)

Great work, I eagerly await more :)

Richard

Share this comment

I like the accuracy of the map and the buildings blend in with the real-life buildings. I give it tumbs up like... 12 stars out of 10.

LOL, keep up the good job!
LC
:thumb:

Share this comment

Interesting islands. You make them yourself?

I think I should say, you do not need those powerlines connecting the islands. It would look a LOT better ( Bridges carry power FYI.) ;)

Share this comment

Thanks all for the compliments :D

@_marsh_: I had actually just discovered that while working on the Waterfront and have adopted that method. I will be going back and removing older lines.

Share this comment