Followers 0
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

South City

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cammo2003

I haven't included an orienting image this time. You'll recognise the plaza from the last update (it's the same one).

South City

One of the more recent redevelopments in Senatoria is the resumption of the former South City industrial district for commercial. There is still some industry in the area:

southcityindustrial.jpg

You can see the old airfield as well with still a few planes there; that's going to be demolished soon; the nearby airfields have more than enough capacity to compensate. The old grid layout from the industrial days was retained throughout the redeveloped area.

Seha's toying with the idea of some sort of landmark for the lower headland (bottom left). I can't say I'm opposed to the idea; being at the junction between the Loudon River and the Inlet, it certainly has a standout location.

Whatever it is, it won't be an observation tower; we already have one of those in downtown.

Walking down the fairly freshly paved streets of South City is quite a different experience from downtown. The road layout in this part of the inner city (to be fair, it could be considered an extension of downtown) is much neater thanks to the industrial legacy.

One of the more successful parts of the redevelopment was this:

southcityinletside.jpg

The inletside stage of development wasn't originally planned to be anywhere near this height, but there has been a lot of pent-up demand for office space in the city over the past few years. This continues at a somewhat more moderate pace to this day.

As you can see, the South City district is best viewed at night:

1southcitymosaic1.jpg

1southcitymosaic2.jpg

You can see the South City Plaza in the background, which we've already visited. The district of small shops visible just to the left of there is working itself into some sort of Chinatown. This wasn't expected, but it's quite welcomed by the authorities, as it's generated some life for the precinct. You can also see the heliport; Senatoria's inner city has four or five of these, and this is the newest.

One of the more unfortunate problems the district has is a problem with problem drinkers. Night after night, they crowd Chinatown (also a popular bar district), and invariably make an awful mess. Brawls aren't uncommon, although it's generally considered safe.

Seha's passion for law and order was obvious when he opened the South City Local Command (not visible, but you'll see it later).This was one of his earlier moves towards the right. At the time I, and I'm sure many others, wrote it off as just another example of the typical politicking that goes on. Sadly we were mistaken.

Seha has consistently pushed for tougher laws, tougher sentences, and in general a tougher society. Too bad, he says, if you have a drug problem. Too bad, he says, if you had a poor upbringing. If you did the crime, you'll do the time. In addition he has pushed for, and in a number of cases successfully so, the cutting of prisoner rehabilitation programs.

Needless to say recidivism* rates in Senatoria have risen dramatically in the past few years.

To finish, here's a final shot with an overview of the main area of the South City district:

southcityoverview.jpg

The Local Command is smack bang in the centre of the district, seen above (the building on the corner with the bluish nightlights not far from Smith Tower.

NEXT TIME: You've probably been waiting for it. Downtown and its environs.

===========================

OOC:

As you can see folks, I did get the nightlights fixed up at last. :) Turned out the exe was patched. It was just in the wrong folder :boggle:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

2 Comments

Love it! Could use some more skyscrapers though, anyway, whats that stadium on the top left corner on the last pic?

Share this comment

Oh, there'll be plenty of skyscrapers in the next update. :P

That's the HSBC Arena. It's on the STEX somewhere... Can't remember who it's by though.

Share this comment