Photo * * * * * 1 votes

Newport: Gateway to the Mainland

Posted by SounderBruce , in Baker County Feb-21 2014 · 1,329 Views
pacific nw waterfront railway resort town beach
Posted Image
Posted Image

Newport, one of the "big four" ferry terminals in the Whatcom Sound, is home to a thriving tourist resort located at the westernmost point of the Newport Peninsula. The city is home to barley over 3,000 permanent year-round residents, but can swell to over 24,000 during the summer when students and white-collar workers look for a close getaway from Baker City without having to risk losing Internet access on one of the islands.

Posted Image

The two docks at the Newport Ferry Terminal are served by frequent "lifeline" ferries coming in from Redwood Island and Kitsap Island as well as frequent commuter ferries to Baker City and Westport on Westgate Island. The terminal was recently upgraded to have a bypass lane for daily ferry users that have the area's regional transit smart card that can be scanned from a vehicle's windshield while quickly boarding without waiting for snowbirds fumbling around with loose change and old discount coupons.

Posted Image

The city was built around the terminal and the waterfront clocktower at the exact center of the street grid. The terminal also acts as the western end of the Newport Highway, which is the only road connection between Newport and its neighbors to the east.

Posted Image

The North Beach neighborhood is home to six high-rise hotels as well as the only parking garage for miles around. The art-deco Neon Triplet Hotel are the oldest on the island, having opened weeks after the little North Beach in 1939.

Posted Image

At the center of North Beach is a hedge maze park, which is frequented by police officers looking for lost children and lost drunks.

Posted Image

The larger and less popular South Beach is located in the middle of condominiums and the Queens Hotel, which features faux-Victorian architecture and a small nature park beside it. The Newport Fountain Park is great place to cool off during the summer without having to be too close to seawater, originally built as a large gazebo for local events that were too large for the neighboring Newport Municipal Building.

Posted Image

Without rental cars or seaplane service, the only two options for pedestrians to leave Newport is either boarding WTA Route 299 with express service to Portland and Bay City or riding the fast and streamlined Newport Express passenger train to Baker City, which travels at a maximum of 125 mph (250 km/h) while passing through Portland and Bay City. The low fare of $7 one-way attracts massive amounts of riders during the summer months, which necessitated expanding the Newport Terminal Station to eight platforms and expanding service to 24-hours from May to September as well as 10-minute headway during peak hours.

Posted Image

The rail line is located in the median of the Newport Highway on the thin Newport Isthmus, home to hundreds of native trees replanted after the reclamation of land when the highway was widened to 4 lanes less than a decade ago.

Posted Image

During peak hours of commuter ferry service, two trains will leave Newport seconds behind each other in order to serve all the walk-on passengers traveling towards Baker City and Bay City.

Posted Image

The Newport Highway, once a two-lane shoulder-less country road, was upgraded to freeway standards and moved to an elevated bypass of the Port of Portland in order to better serve expanded ferry service.

Posted Image

A parting overview of Newport itself. Thanks for reading!

• Next Entry »
  • « Previous Entry

Photo
MilitantRadical
Feb 21, 2014 - 07:41 PM

Nice boardwalk area. I think you should find some ploppable boats to liven up the waters a bit.

All your images are broken. Even the ones in the "Show Me" section of the forum are all unviewable.

His images are hosted on majhost, and for all I know this site has fallen today and so far has not returned  =/

Newport ,RI is one of my favorite vacations spots and used to go there when i visited family in Providence! I have "The Breakers"  setting in my Peyton Place and man i miss the Fisherman's wharf in the real Newport. Best seafood in the world!

replies.png

MilitantRadical: Thanks! Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be too many realistic options for ploppable personal watercraft, instead only for large container ships and cruise ships.

infamousjbe & Schriefer: I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but Majhost.com (my image upload service) was unavailable at the time.

SimRico: This town isn't based on Newport, RI, just coincidentally sharing the same, fairly generic name.