Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lacherlich

Parks

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Lacherlich    0
  • Original Poster
  • I always seem to have the message about paving a paradise or something along those lines, and it still remains with a number of parks etc in my city, any tips on getting rid of this message?

Lacherlich    0
  • Original Poster
  • Yeah ive kinda tried that... was wondering if there was like some kind of set number recommended to build or something depending on the size of your city?

There is no set number for placing recreational facilities (RFs). Basically, you place RFs (parks, plazas, tennis courts, etc.) for two reasons:

1. Improve desirability of an area
    2. Increase population caps

The number of people that live or work in a building is directly proportional to the desirability. Thus when you place parks or plazas adjacent to residential or commercial zones, desirability rises and the buildings surrounding the RFs can hold more people.

Population caps are limits beyond which growth is impossible. Pop caps can be relieved or lifted by placing RF's and rewards. So the more RFs you place, the more people you can ultimately pack in your city.

Technical aspects
    Aside from the monthly cost, each RF has some important values. These include
    1. commercial effect
    2. commercial range
    3. residential effect
    4. residential range
    5. population cap relief
    6. air and water pollution values and range (I won't be discussing these here)

For example:             +C  CR +R  RR  Cap relief
    1. basketball court       0    0    30  30   1000
    2. large flower garden  35   10   85  45   7000
    3. large plaza             80   15   35  30   9000

The commercial effect is the power of the RF to increase commercial desirability, while the commercial range is the range at which this effect is effective. The residential effect and range are the same as the commercial effect except that it affects residential zones. The population cap relief is by how much the population cap is lifted. Thus looking at the examples above, a basketball court solely influences R desirability. Both large flower gardens and plazas improve R and C desirability, but the former exerts more effect on residential zones while the latter is more effective for commercial zones.

So what do we learn from this? 
    1. ONLY the plazas have C+ > R+. Thus plazas are the most effective means to increase commercial desirability.
    2. Use the effect and range to decide what kind of RF to place. A common mistake is to plop a random assortment of RFs haphazardly. To get the most out of your recreational facilities, use the effect and range values. If you want to increase desirability sharply in a limited radius use the likes of skateboard parks or playgrounds (+60 over 15 radius). If you want a widespread effect (but sacrifices effectivity), choose a large radius like ranger stations, (+20 over 80), small flower gardens (+30 over 60), etc. Use the desirability map to plan out where your RFs should be placed.
    3. If you want to relieve the residential cap choose structures with high relief values. For example tennis courts are tiny but have a cap relief of 4000, the much larger soccer field has a relief of only 1000 higher (5000).
    4. Rewards usually have much higher residential cap relief values that RFs. Thus you'll only use the cap-lifting aspect of RFs much later in the game (unless you're not placing rewards).

Hope you learned something today! 2.gif

Lacherlich    0
  • Original Poster
  • Cheers for that, although, I know about the appeal of recreational facilities, I was just wondering about the constant message about needing more parks, when I already had a number built. Ill use your information, thanks XD

Lacherlich    0
  • Original Poster
  • Oooo and since you seem to know alot, do you reckon, that in my older cities, i managed to get huge buildings across the whole map etc, but like randomly the demand stopped for everything and nothing else would develop? Ive kinda got the knack for the game, except for random things like that , when i hit dead ends.

It is possible that you might have hit a a commercial and/or residential cap. The easiest way to check it would be to get Equinox's RCI Mod at the STEX, it gives the values as percentages. This removes any guesswork component about where your capacity lies.

I forgot to mention that the charts for the values I mentioned above are available at one of ST's affiliates, Simcitycentral.net. Follow this link and go to the bottom of the page entitled Charts. I suggest you save them, as they can be a valuable tool in getting the most out of your SC4 experience.

As to the paving paradise message, I usually get it when I zone a huge section at one time, without putting in any trees or parks, even if 4/5ths of the map is a forest. It seems if the game senses you build more roads/zones than parks/trees it gives you a suggestion to throw in more trees. Like many messages in the game (except existing health and education funding) I usually ignore those messages.

I always line avenues and highways that get high traffic with the green squares and trees. It greatly increases desirability and lowers traffic pollution.

There's a third reason to place parks : they make you earn money, as long as you don't place too many of them. Why? Because they attract wealthier sims and businesses that pay more taxes! For further details, see this