Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vandewal

Crashing on Custom Region Import

Long time listener, first time caller.

I decided to kick up the game last night after a few months away. I'm running Rush Hour with the SC4 website patch, and a few tweaks I had found here a year or two ago (off the top of my head, the bridge height mod, the transportation regional map overlay for certain). After playing on a previous region for over an hour, I decided it might be fun to start fresh, and started creating a new region.

I stared by doing the same process as usual for creating the region (per the instructions found here way back in the day), and kicked off the import. However, after creating 15 or so cities, the game crashed to the desktop. When restarting the game, the terrain that it had imported showed up properly, followed by the empty green city lots that I had started with.

I tried fiddling with the config file, and with the grayscale imports (using Photoshop, I re-exported the original file and saved it as a gif, jpg, png, and bmp), with no success. I had been downloading some new lots and mods from the STEX, so thinking that maybe I had scrambled the install on that machine, I installed SC4 and Rush Hour on another computer, and then created the new region, brought over the config and grayscale files, and kicked off the import. I figured, at the very least, I could put that new directory over-top the created one on the previous computer, as it tends to run the game better.

However, the same thing happened on this other computer: it imported several cities, only to crash to the desktop about 15 cities in.

For the record, both of these computers have previously run the game perfectly well, even if one runs it a bit smoother than the other. I've got the screensavers off on both machines for the import, as well as turning off practically everything else running on the machine at the time (anti-virus, internet connections). I've imported more regions than I can count over the years (I get easily bored with them, I guess) without this kind of trouble. I am really and truly boggled by what could be going wrong here. I've been stretching my brain for possible solutions to this problem, but wanted to run them by you guys first, since you guys know a lot:

1) Maybe the game just doesn't like that particular region model? Perhaps I should start over in Photoshop and create a new image. I did really like the one that I made last night, but I'm not going to cry over it if I can't use it. Has anyone run into trouble with an image that the game just didn't like for whatever reason?

2) Could there be something it doesn't like when importing that next (16th) city? On the config bitmap, it is a blue 4x4 square. The terrain that it should be importing is two cliffs with a straight in-between them. I was planning on putting a highway bridge here over a shipping canal. As such, the grayscale image has a very high contract for this square. I haven't had trouble with high-contrast imports in the past, but perhaps this is causing the trouble?

3) I checked to make sure that the image was grayscale, and that I had this image the proper size for importing. Is there something that I'm leaving out that has faded from my memory in the past few months? I did go back and take a look at the instructions, and I think I am doing everything properly.

Thanks in advance for your help on this. I'm sorry if I'm putting this in the wrong place or whatever. I don't want to cause any trouble.

The region that I'm trying to import was one that I created in Photoshop using the Cloud filter and the burn tool. I've posted them on my site for you all to look at, despite my artistic embarrassment:

http://www.vandewal.net/sc4/taijirad.jpg - the grayscale file - 1537x1537

http://www.vandewal.net/sc4/config.bmp - the config file - 24x24

The primary computer:

Intel Pentium4 1.7GHz

512mb RAM, 756mb Virtual

ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 Video

The secondary, fresh install computer:

Intel Celeron 2.7GHz

512mb RAM, 756mb Virtual

Intel 82845GL Video

For giggles, I tried importing another region I had previously created, with graphics files that had the same physical dimensions. It rendered just fine on the primary machine, leading me to believe that there must be something wrong with the images I am using for this particular region.

Like I said before, I'm not crying over this, but I am curious as to why this might be happening. I'm terrified that it's at ID-10-T error.

You could move all of your plugins to another folder and then import the greyscale file. I always had your same problem until I tried this.

AMD Sempron 2600+
1.5 GB DDR
Nvidia BFG 256MB RAMDAC video

Originally posted by: vandewal

The region that I'm trying to import was one that I created in Photoshop using the Cloud filter and the burn tool. I've posted them on my site for you all to look at, despite my artistic embarrassment:

http://www.vandewal.net/sc4/taijirad.jpg - the grayscale file - 1537x1537

http://www.vandewal.net/sc4/config.bmp - the config file - 24x24

The primary computer:

Intel Pentium4 1.7GHz

512mb RAM, 756mb Virtual

ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 Video

The secondary, fresh install computer:

Intel Celeron 2.7GHz

512mb RAM, 756mb Virtual

Intel 82845GL Video

For giggles, I tried importing another region I had previously created, with graphics files that had the same physical dimensions. It rendered just fine on the primary machine, leading me to believe that there must be something wrong with the images I am using for this particular region.

Like I said before, I'm not crying over this, but I am curious as to why this might be happening. I'm terrified that it's at ID-10-T error.quote>

OK, first of all, my system says this image is 625 x 625px. This is an illegal size for the SC4 renderer. The nearest acceptable dimensions are 641 x 641. Did you resize this to post it? The bmp file seems OK for a 1025 x 1025 bit map.

Next, your VM should be increased to 1536MB minimum with a maximum of 2048MB. You haven't got enough paging file for this map.

It is just vaguely possible that you have the correct error code.

I yanked the plug-ins, increased the VM, and created a new version of the import file from the original in Photoshop, figuring that should cover all the bases. There must be plug-ins on the secondary machine from a previous install that I must have missed, or needed to tweak the machine to make it run better, or I overcame my own incompetence. Either way, it's working, and I'm back to enjoying my game for a bit.

I'd like to thank you all so much for helping me out. You all make a great game an even greater experience.

Okay, I believe I have the exact solution now, which I'm posting here for posterity:

It was a plug-in issue. After importing the region last night, I still had problems opening some cities that had high elevations. After once again emptying the plug-ins and adding them back in one at a time, I discovered that the culprit was an older version of the Snow-Capped terrain mod. Deleting it alleviated all issues I was having.

Yet another sad story of a plug-in gone bad, I suppose.

Thanks again for your help, everyone!